Go To Long Range Bullet

FWIW, Cutting Edge has been in my game plans since 2014. I have used a lot of them since that time and I am very pleased with the performance. I was very surprised at first as I did not know what to expect.
How far have you taken game with cutting edge bullets, I'm assuming the MTH?

I've been using the berger 130 AR Hybrid in 6.5/everything I have. I started shooting it from a 20" 6.5 Grendel AR and have used it also in 6.5/06, and 264Win to take game. Two of my friends use it in 6.5 Creedmoor and another in 264win. On broadside deer we usually get an exit wound. The size depends on velocity, but the 6.5 Grendel is usually between 3/4" and 1". I have taken whitetail deer, coyotes and feral hogs. My job keeps getting in the way of pursuing anything else. We can't take vacation time between October and December so I don't have opportunity's to hunt much in that time, outside of Saturday's. I get to Texas usually in March and September to hunt hogs, and shoot as many as we can during the week we are there, a good number of those I use the 6.5 Grendel to take.

The 130 AR Hybrid is the easiest bullet I've ever worked with. In the AR Grendel I just seated to magazine length and ran a pressure ladder. Everything shot better than 1 MOA with SD less than 20 FPS. I just picked the powder charge that was 0.6g below where I started seeing a shiny spot around where the ejector plunger is that had the lowest SD. That ended up at 2,405 FPS over the magnetospeed and an SD of 12 FPS over ten shots.

What am I missing hammers look like other copper bullets that have been out there?
Hammers are built to shed the petals to create massive cavitation and then the remaining portion of bullet penetrate deeply with flat front for maximum tissue damage. Based on research found here: http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/wounding.html

Amazingly easy to load. Easiest bullets I've ever used to fine tune and get a great shooting load.

Hammers are built to shed the petals to create massive cavitation and then the remaining portion of bullet penetrate deeply with flat front for maximum tissue damage. Based on research found here: http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/wounding.html

Amazingly easy to load. Easiest bullets I've ever used to fine tune and get a great shooting load.
Cutting edge hunting bullets, and Badlands Bulldozers are designed to do the same thing

How deeply do they penetrate before petals shed. If you hit a whitetail broadside will the pedals shed or are they more for moose?

Cutting edge hunting bullets, and Badlands Bulldozers are designed to do the same thing
Can't speak for cutting edge, but Badland bullets seem to use a slightly harder alloy than hammer, and the owner said they should be kept above 1900 fps impact velocity for best performance. Hammers seem to do what they are supposed to at lower velocities. Not saying one is better than the other, just info to know going into the gate. The Badlands bulldozer 128 .277 bullet worked fantastic on a bull elk at 3250 fps

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.