GMX Results?

scdogman

I was wondering if any one has recovered GMX bullets. I would like to hear about the results and the impact speed. I think I want to use them on elk while trying to keep the impact velocity above 2400 ft/s. Also are the hornady speeds for the factory load accurate?

I apologize if this was asked before. I have searched and couldn't get anything to come.

I have not shot any gmx so I'm no help. My thought is if you wanna try a non lead bullet go to the people who only make those types. I shoot lot of nosler but never use the e tip for the same Reason. I would use Barnes for factory ammo Cutting Edge if you load. I'm sure the gmx would work fine for what you want to do. I just have no experience with them. As for speed hornady is faulty close more depends on what length barrel you have and what cartridge you are shooting as velocity and barrel length go hand in hand with many calibers. Hope this helps a bit

Give our Hammer Hunter bullets a go. We shot 6 elk last fall with them. All but two were one shot quick kills. The two were poor shots. One caught a branch on the first shot and needed a second to finish him. The other one hit high in the spine and required a finisher.

Not sure what caliber you need, let me know if I can help.

Steve

I like the Gmx over Barnes as a factory load because it keeps my 2400 ft/s out to 400 yds. Barnes dips to 2400 ft/s at 300 yds.

Steve,

What range were the shots, impact velocity and bullet retention?

I like the Gmx over Barnes as a factory load because it keeps my 2400 ft/s out to 400 yds. Barnes dips to 2400 ft/s at 300 yds.

Steve,

What range were the shots, impact velocity and bullet retention?

We only recovered one bullet. It was from a cow that I shot at 400y facing me slightly quartered. That bullet stopped in the hide just in front of the far hind quarter. I posted a pic of that bullet in another thread. That bullet started at 183g and weighed 146g when done. So 80% weight retention. That would be pretty typical for our bullets. They will shed the nose to the depth of the hollow pt. then become a square face blunt like a dangerous game bullet. The shed petals cause peripheral damage while the square face of the expanded bullet displaces soft tissue perpendicular to the direction of bullet travel. This will cause a larger permanent wound channel than a rounded mushroom typical to a lead core bullet. The Hammer Hunter bullets are designed for deep penetration and large permanent wound channel in the soft tissue organs.

I have a heck of a time with the photos. I will go find it in a previous thread and copy it here.

Steve

I have some loaded for my 270... they shoot well... I haven't put one through a critter yet here though... I caught a few of the mrx pills I also use shooting longer range once, but not a gmx... Too busy working with lead core pills in my big 7mm's and 30's I guess...

I try to keep loads for a couple of the rifles with lead free pills in case I ever need to hunt a lead free area. It sucks working up loads on a deadline... Currently I have lead free in my 270win and 375 h@h...

Last year I got 2 boxes of the GMX 165gr. 30 cal. and tried them in my 300WSM. I was wanting to use them on a Moose hunt. My object was, If I could get good accuracy they would retain more weight than my GO TO bullet, Nosler 180 gr. Partition. I recovered a Nosler 180 30 cal. from a New Mexico Elk and it weighed 113 gr. with the front lead gone. The GMX are actually longer by .172 than Nosler 180gr. Partitions. They did not shoot good out of my rifle. 3" at 100 yds. I believe my rifle does not have enough twist in the rifling for this long bullet.

I have obtained some Nosler E-Tip 168 gr. that have a shorter ogive and shorter overall length. Will load and test shortly. Hunt to Newfoundland this Oct.

Last year I got 2 boxes of the GMX 165gr. 30 cal. and tried them in my 300WSM. I was wanting to use them on a Moose hunt. My object was, If I could get good accuracy they would retain more weight than my GO TO bullet, Nosler 180 gr. Partition. I recovered a Nosler 180 30 cal. from a New Mexico Elk and it weighed 113 gr. with the front lead gone. The GMX are actually longer by .172 than Nosler 180gr. Partitions. They did not shoot good out of my rifle. 3" at 100 yds. I believe my rifle does not have enough twist in the rifling for this long bullet.

I have obtained some Nosler E-Tip 168 gr. that have a shorter ogive and shorter overall length. Will load and test shortly. Hunt to Newfoundland this Oct.

Sounds like perfect performance with the Nosler Partition. It is designed to shed the front lead core and retain 65% of it's weight. Plus, you got your Elk !!

I was wondering if any one has recovered GMX bullets. I would like to hear about the results and the impact speed. I think I want to use them on elk while trying to keep the impact velocity above 2400 ft/s. Also are the hornady speeds for the factory load accurate?

I apologize if this was asked before. I have searched and couldn't get anything to come.

Man, I sure hope you get some answers. I think this is a good option for my 6.5 Creedmoor for elk (maybe). I might try on a cow this year, but I'd be reluctant on a bull until proven. I did take a cow at 350 yd with a 100 grain TTSX starting at 3250 fps. She went down hard...Hopefully some GMXers will crawl out of the woodwork and give you answers. It should work similar to any other all-copper or copper alloy bullet. Good luck. If I get a bullet back from my cow I'll let you know.

Scfam did you recovery the Barnes bullet? Did you hit bone and how was the expansion?

Really considering Barnes as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.