Gm upper engine cleaner for carbon

AC Delco intake cleaner isn't the same formula as the old GM intake cleaner. I had a tough time finding any yrs ago and it was from a GM dealer in the middle of nowhere...

Last edited:
the stuff sold today is nothing like what was sold in the past...say pre1990.
the stuff we use to day is not even in the same class
You can still buy a 5 gallon bucket of carb cleaner with a soak basket. Probably not very practical for cleaning a barrel though. As for it causing etching, I've got some doubts about that. I've used the stuff on cylinder head and block mating surfaces, as well as crankshaft journals. No harm done and cleans excellent. At any rate, it still shouldn't be the last thing to go through your barrel since it will do nothing to prevent rust and possibly accelerate it since all the oil gets pulled out.

you need to read more. you are NOT saying stuff i have not already said. yesteryear and today are not even close.

P1000645.JPG
Your not taking about the same thing. The old GM upper intake cleaner isn't in production anymore, I purchase a case back about 16yrs ago after reading how Speedy Gonzales used it in his cleaning rountine to remove carbon from his benchrest guns. His records speak for themselves. Carb=cleaner or the AC

Man reading through all that makes a guy wonder what he should do to best take care of their rifle???
There's a lot of good products out there anymore. Some of the items mentioned in the article can be destructive if not used properly. Honestly, simple is better, fine a good cleaning routine and some good products and stick with it. Not many of us run the rounds down a barrel like those guys. Many article's on here and from rifle builders will answer all your questions. There's years of experience and knowledge from guy's right here...

the stuff sold today is nothing like what was sold in the past...say pre1990.
the stuff we use to day is not even in the same class

I won't doubt that. Still, the stuff sold today will also peel paint and melt certain plastics. I think Eliminator works well enough for me to not use something as irritating as carb cleaner in the house anymore.

I won't doubt that. Still, the stuff sold today will also peel paint and melt certain plastics. I think Eliminator works well enough for me to not use something as irritating as carb cleaner in the house anymore.

Your absolutely right, its not worth it considering the new products and their technology.
I recently received a product from shooterlube..
It looks almost too good to be true, but the folks there treated me very well and I'm using the product at no cost to me. I wanted it mostly for pistol cleaning and its supposed to melt carbon away!
I haven't used it yet, maybe someone on here has. Here's the link..
https://www.shooterlube.com/

Last edited:
keep telling me about gun cleaning products
$16 for FOUR ounces of Eliminator...$4/oz
gm TEC $8 for 15 ounces..... $0.53/oz
SEVEN AND ONE HALF times the cost because it says "gun" on it

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.