Glass quality is a subjective perception

Iron Worker

I have a Weaver Tactical 3x15x50mm FFP cost me about $800 bucks 5 years ago. Saturday I got to look through a Vortex Razor 4.5x17x56mm . Those scopes go for $2500 +bucks. I was scoping steel rams at 500 yds. I did not see a $1700 dollar better image . But the Vortex did have a Christmas tree type reticle. Just my thoughts.

I have a Weaver Tactical 3x15x50mm FFP cost me about $800 bucks 5 years ago. Saturday I got to look through a Vortex Razor 4.5x17x56mm . Those scopes go for $2500 +bucks. I was scoping steel rams at 500 yds. I did not see a $1700 dollar better image . But the Vortex did have a Christmas tree type reticle. Just my thoughts.

All scopes have different lens coatings that appear different for different peoples eyes. (Brightness is
one of the things)

What one persons perception of light gathering is different for some others.

The best way to find out lens quality is a side by side comparison at dusk into darkness. the better glass will not white out as soon as less quality glass will.

I also like to look at clarity at long distances. (Find a sign at over 1000 yards and see how clear/sharp the righting is).

There are several scopes that I cant see the benefit at any price and definatly at more than double the price.

Buy the scope that performs best for you , Not the most expensive.

just my opinion
J E CUSTOM

With all optics scopes or bino's a quick look through comparison is hard to get a real feel on what's better. You really need to look through in different lighting, distances, and power settings for a good time period then you will see the difference in quality glass over average. You will see that more quality/expensive glass always wins out. The real hard comparisons come when you have same quality/price range of glass, then it comes down to individual eyes.

A good quick way to compare is trying to read the #'s on 1000 yard targets if you have that available. You will see rather quickly why guys who are consistently successful at that range have the higher end scopes. For hunting you can get away with less of a quality glass, but trying to find a Coues deer a 800 yds in a scope you will appreciate quality glass.

I cannot comment on the Razor but I do own the Weaver 3-15 tac ( and 2 other Weavers) . It has the EDMR reticle with the open center. I love this scope and I think its much better in optical quality in low light than either of my Vipers ,not quite as good as my VX6 4-24, and about as good as my Burris Veracity ( which I'm also very impressed with)

There is resolution...and at various power settings. Color fringing thru out the span of the scope....and as was mentions the mechanical s of the scope.

If its resolution is perfect and not a speck of color fringing but you cant change power at all because its too stiff....aint much worth a damm now is it?

You will see that more quality/expensive glass always wins out.

I'm willing to bet you a good chunk of change this statement is not true based on side by side comparisons in good light and low light. I purchased four Swarovski z5 5-25X52 ($1,675) trying to get one better than my Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 ($685). Four of us looked through them. One guy couldn't see any difference. The other three guys picked the Bushnell 6500. One of the 6500's is better than the z5 in both good light and low light. Two of the z5's were better than one of the 6500's in low light but not in good light.

I use a military optics chart for good light and deer antlers for low light.

I cannot comment on the Razor but I do own the Weaver 3-15 tac ( and 2 other Weavers) . It has the EDMR reticle with the open center. I love this scope and I think its much better in optical quality in low light than either of my Vipers ,not quite as good as my VX6 4-24, and about as good as my Burris Veracity ( which I'm also very impressed with)

Comparing the VX-6 4-24X52 ($1,350) and the Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50's ($685) showed me that one of the 6500's was barely better in good light and matched it in low light. The other 6500 was barely behind in good light and noticeably behind in low light. I sen the VX-6 in and when it came back the magnification ring was on the order of half as hard to turn as before.

You will see that more quality/expensive glass always wins out.

Replace "always" with "generally" and the the statement becomes closer to reality. Always, and never, are two words that are very rarely fulfilled.

Over the long haul in a companies existence (decades), more expensive glass normally provides some benefits compared to other brand/models. But there's a lot of marketing hype, expense, and name brand premiums that can enter into the pricing of optics. And there's always an up and coming brand that has the greater need to get into the market offering better value for price. Prices aren't "always" based on quality. Greed, profits, and what the market will bear in the life cycle of the manufacturer are always competing factors.