Gillette WY

ZSteinle

Are there any areas to shoot long range 1000+ around gillette WY I know of the westen hills area but that is closed down for target shooting now. There are a couple of ranges around but they are only 200 yard.

You can go to the National Grasslands north around Weston. It is about 30 minutes north on Hwy59. There is also National Grasslands south of Wright in the Rochelle Hills. There is a bunch of BLM west of town off the interstate by the Powder River. You will need a BLM map to find the boundries. Other than that, most land around Gillette is private. There are some walk in areas around town also. You will need to get a walk in book at Rocky Mtn Sports to find where they are. There are no ranges where you can shoot that far near Gillette.

West and south of town there is a walk in area. The antelope will be down near the river but they are spooky as a sheep at a wolf convention. You better have a good long range rifle.

You can get doe permits at Ace Hardware.

no hunting yet just target shooting. About that national grasslands north of town on the west side of the highway; as soon as you enter that area there is a sign posted "No Target Shooting" are the stipulations that as long as you pass that cattle guard and are on national grasslands you can target shoot?

I am not sure on that. I don't usually go on that side of the hwy. There are way too many people in there on 4 wheeler. I would imagine the BLM would be able to tell you.

You are asking the wrong

Are there any areas to shoot long range 1000+ around gillette WY I know of the westen hills area but that is closed down for target shooting now. There are a couple of ranges around but they are only 200 yard.

people ! If you want to shoot at long range in Wyoming ask the people that have land there . A place to shoot could be yours for the offer of mowing a fellas grass or for nothing at all . If you make yourself a portable shooting bench you can set up anywhere . Ask the Wyoming Game and fish for a list of landowners that allow trespass hunting on their property .

Then , call those folks and explain your needs . I live in Arkansas and hunt in Wyoming a lot and I have found the landowners out there to be great folks when approached with a request to hunt or otherwise use their property .

I live in a state that has more trees than dirt and very little places to see 500 yds much less 1000 yds . You live in WYOMING !! Get out there and talk to some folks .

BTW , when you get those places to shoot don't be a pig ! share , and tell us all here .

jimmba

You don't know the people around Gillette too well. You may get lucky once, but if you don't pay these people, you don't touch their land. Alot of them you just don't touch at all. Usually the landowners that let people in free are walk in areas that are only open to people during hunting season and only to hunt what is specified by the landowner. I have lived in Wyoming for over 30 years and I'm here to tell you it's not that easy to get on private land. Hunting and trespassing in Wyoming is a major money making business any more.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.