Gillette, Wyoming - Mac's Gunworks' 1,760 yard steel target range

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
What a treasure this shooting range is! It is located about 12 miles south of Gillette, Wyoming and about 1 mile east of Hywy 59.

I have shot there a few times this year. Owner Chuck McIntosh has steel targets at every 50 yards out to about 1,000 yards and then every 100 yards after that.

It is a fantastic place to validate your trajectory at long range.

There are a few benches under a shade cover.

You can drive your own vehicle on a 2 track road out to the targets for re-painting and target group measuring.

I believe he charges $10 per day.

For directions contact Mac's Gunworks.

Attachments

• Mac's-2045.jpg
    Mac's-2045.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 337
Thats awesome! That is very close to where we antelope hunt every year, would be awesome to check dope when we get there. Is it open year around?

Beyond that Chuck is an ace of a guy. Also has been known to build some fine guns.
God willing i'll be stopping to pay him a visit this fall. Just watch that damned coyote.

Unfortunately his pet coyote was shot by somebody. Sore subject with Chuck. She was chained up at the time. Used to want to nip at people as they come in. Great range and a nice guy that is very knowledgeable. Bruce

Too bad about the coyote, i can understand chuck being upset over that.
Amazing story as to how he got that and how it survived. Talk about divine intervention, thats classic in my opinion. im wondering how the surreget mother
took all that. Good reason for me to call Chuck.

Well I'll be headed out that way at the end of the month. I'll be in Rawlins for a week or so then headed up to Williston N.D. to work. I'm bringing one of my 6MM Competition Match rifles with me, this looks like a good place to stretch it's leggs, haven't done it in a while.

I found it and talked with Chuck for about 2 hours and he showed me around his shop and some of the guns he has been working on and let me do some shooting at the range. I was able to put hits on steel out to 1000 with the 30/375 and 600 yards with my 284 win in a 15-20 mph wind. He is a cool dude and very friendly!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.