Getting Started

RedRanger328

I tried using the search function, but it was getting a little overwhelming.

I'd like to get into elk hunting for next year. Problem is, this whole drawing system seems really complicated. I was hoping someone might be able to guide me into the information I need and the information I didn't know I needed.

I'm a rifle guy, I do have a friend or two that would want to go along/hunt as well. I'm in great shape, I understand altitude (I go snowboarding a LOT and generally have to hike my way to the double blacks). I know it's different when you're packing a lot of gear, but physical demands are my forte... What I'm ignorant about is how to play the game.

I'm assuming any state that has public hunting of elk is drawn hunts only. Each state allocates it's own point system. More points = better chance at getting drawn.

Do you apply for a specific lot? Or the state as a whole?
It kinda looks like you apply for a lot, which makes it a little harder to navigate, as what lot do you even try and go for? Does it REALLY matter?

My wife's family has a family rancher friend in (I believe) Montana. Would they be a good resource to lean on? A few years ago when we visited them with her family, I mentioned how cool it would be to hunt elk while we were on the topic, and they seemed receptive of letting me stay there, on the condition I was married to my now wife, haha. But I also don't want to "intrude". But if a land owner connection is a good connection, with how warm they are, I could look into it... Especially if I can convince my father in law to come with me.

Thanks for any help/knowledge!

Lean on the Montana connection to at least get the ins and outs figured out. If they are hunters they probably already have a pretty good idea what would work for you. Even if they aren't hunters they can probably still steer you in the right direction.

Last edited:
Sorry my above post was a little off. After rereading your post I realized it wasn't your inlaws that own the ranch but friends. Hopefully they would still be willing to help you understand the process to get a tag and get started in the right direction. Again good luck

If you can hunt private land that has elk on it that would be your best bet. The land owner may be able to get tags for family and friends. Otherwise you'll likely have to play the draw game.

The comment about being married to their next of kin isn't so far fetched. I had a nephew marry a gal from a ranch in CO. I went to the wedding and talked with the father of the bride about general things (not hunting) thinking that I could get in contact later after all the stress and excitement of the wedding was over. The couple ended up moving close to where she was from and she got involved with old friends and relationships. They ended up getting divorced, 😒

A simple google search would give you tons of information. There are hunts In multiple states that are either OTC or easy to draw. Colorado you can walk into wal-mart and buy a otc bull tag and go hunting. Bring a valid hunter safety card and 670.25 and walk out with a elk tag. Utah get online and get a any bull tag the morning they go on sale. Montana and Wyoming general tags are taking a few points to draw (Wyoming specifically). Idaho is first come first serve on non-res tags and they have been selling out fast. Oregon still has otc. New Mexico is all draw but random no points. Arizona your could draw a bull tag your first year or it could take 30 years. Pick a state, research hunts in that state and go for it. Pretty much every state has a hunt planner that will give you hours of reading. If you want a top tier unit then apply in every state you can afford and prepare to wait a decade or three.