Getting a little tired of the Summit Climber...

YZ-80

Well guys, a few weeks shy of 54 here and man, lugging the Summit in is gettin' old. Last weekend, I did AM and PM hunts and decided to climb instead of using my ladder stands. It didn't help that in the morning I forgot to hook up my haul line and had to double climb. Then, in the PM, I dropped my stinkin' cross-bow and had to climb down and get the thing (thankfully it was not damaged and the POI didn't shift). Anyway, when I was in bed that night (sorry, this doesn't get dirty) I cramped up really bad. Not your standard Charlie Horse but those adductor muscles that run up into the groin and along the inner side of the thigh locked right up in both legs. It was excruciating and by the time they relaxed, I was sweating. I stood up and leaned into the wall and after a few minutes, they went away but man did that hurt. Gettin' old ain't for sissies. More bananas and Gatorade for me I guess.

Feel your pain! I am 70 and still use my Summit, lots of fluids and magnesium pills at night help alleviate the potential cramping. Three years ago I tried to use it with torn meniscus in left knee. Really bad idea! Lifting the platform was excruciating! Got that fixed and I usually now "carry" my Summit in a game cart which then doubles to haul anything else out. Best way to attack those bucks from different angles. Getting closer each year now to shutting down the Summit but still love the excitement of going up a new tree that now a buck has no clue I am there.

Feel your pain! I am 70 and still use my Summit, lots of fluids and magnesium pills at night help alleviate the potential cramping. Three years ago I tried to use it with torn meniscus in left knee. Really bad idea! Lifting the platform was excruciating! Got that fixed and I usually now "carry" my Summit in a game cart which then doubles to haul anything else out. Best way to attack those bucks from different angles. Getting closer each year now to shutting down the Summit but still love the excitement of going up a new tree that now a buck has no clue I am there.

This is so true Muddy. There is no substitute for the Summit climbers and the extra 8' to 10' feet they get you over most commercial Ladder stands. It makes a big difference And gives you a bit more insurance from getting busted. I just don't know how many more seasons I can take it. I'll use your account as inspiration!

Best,

-YZ

Well guys, a few weeks shy of 54 here and man, lugging the Summit in is gettin' old. Last weekend, I did AM and PM hunts and decided to climb instead of using my ladder stands. It didn't help that in the morning I forgot to hook up my haul line and had to double climb. Then, in the PM, I dropped my stinkin' cross-bow and had to climb down and get the thing (thankfully it was not damaged and the POI didn't shift). Anyway, when I was in bed that night (sorry, this doesn't get dirty) I cramped up really bad. Not your standard Charlie Horse but those adductor muscles that run up into the groin and along the inner side of the thigh locked right up in both legs. It was excruciating and by the time they relaxed, I was sweating. I stood up and leaned into the wall and after a few minutes, they went away but man did that hurt. Gettin' old ain't for sissies. More bananas and Gatorade for me I guess.
I know exactly how you feel buddy been there and done that for sure I'm a little over 56 now I've had a summit for years but I have not used mine in the last two years I have buddy stands on my property for the wife and myself on public land I'll try to find high ground overlooking a hollow or valley and usually sit on the ground under a tree and move around a little bit getting old will change your style of hunting

Mid 20s Hunter here. I'll take those summits off you old timers hands...

in all seriousness I would grab some potassium supplements (or a big bag of bananas) and really focus hard on hydrating. My dad is 54, he says stretching early morning and before bed helps as well. But he's nearly stopped hunting in his portables as well.

I feel your pain I've tried to sell my summit the last two years but everyone around here already has stands I thought it would move fast it's like new and I priced it cheap I guess it will hang on the garage wall and I'll let someone else worry about it. David

The other aspect that is often overlooked about a climber is when you are 6'4" and 260'ish you do have to be higher to not stick out like the blob from outer space on a tree!:eek: I am usually at least 27' to my bottom platform. And yes wear a full body harness vest like HSS and attach to tree going up or down. The other really good aspect if you do have to hunt public land you are not restricting yourself to a specific area and can attack much better for the changes in movement that happens so frequently on public land. Public land still holds really good bucks if you can figure out the hunter movement versus the deer movement than hunt against the hunter movement! My two biggest bucks are off public land that is hunted HARD but hunted against the hunter movement to get onto them. A climber lets you do that and not leave too much of a trace you were there unless you leave your bow hook in tree🤬 which is why I have so many of them.

Can't beat a shot of tonic water its fast and effective :) Finally eased up on using mine way back in, best climber I ever owned. So thick where I hunt you loose all visibility past 12-15' or so cedar, spruce, and fir block your line of sight, course a ladder that sits right up into the bottom layer of evergreens tends to make you outline disappear as well. Little older than you fellas but I still think I got a few more good years left :)

I started to say you guys were too young to be having those problems, but I never climbed a tree after 60 when I fell out of one with a running chain saw in my hand. No harm.... But now at 84, just climbing steps to a target shooting platform carrying my Savage 112 was tough on me last weekend. Thank God the shooting was done lying down...LOL. You would be surprised how far you can throw a running chainsaw when you dont want fall anywhere near it.

Can't beat a shot of tonic water its fast and effective :) Finally eased up on using mine way back in, best climber I ever owned. So thick where I hunt you loose all visibility past 12-15' or so cedar, spruce, and fir block your line of sight, course a ladder that sits right up into the bottom layer of evergreens tends to make you outline disappear as well. Little older than you fellas but I still think I got a few more good years left
As long as there is a lime and gin in it as well!😂

Lot of great advice here, from staying hydrated to stretching multiple times each day. These become more important as we get older to maintain mobility and range of motion. I'm a couple weeks behind you in age and still use climbing stands almost exclusively. Staying in shape is huge as you get older and finding better ways of carrying stands also helps, like a padded waist belt or pack frame. BTW, I carry WAY to much crap. lol

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.