Getting a little tired of the Summit Climber...

OK, just thought I'd share my Summit hunting ensemble that I use that keeps me going even at the ripe young age of 70. By placing my bow in the back of climber with bungee, leaves both hands free to use with my very expensive Wally World trekking poles at $19 a pair. There is no doubt the trekking poles have changed my life completely for using my Summit. I don't think I would be using it without them. Thought pic would be better than this but you get it.
I use a really nice bow vest to carry basic essentials, bow hanger, accessory hanger, headlamp, clippers and that is about it. Makes it nice to "attack" bucks by hopscotching around.
I
IMG_3403.JPG

OK, just thought I'd share my Summit hunting ensemble that I use that keeps me going even at the ripe young age of 70. By placing my bow in the back of climber with bungee, leaves both hands free to use with my very expensive Wally World trekking poles at $19 a pair. There is no doubt the trekking poles have changed my life completely for using my Summit. I don't think I would be using it without them. Thought pic would be better than this but you get it.
I use a really nice bow vest to carry basic essentials, bow hanger, accessory hanger, headlamp, clippers and that is about it. Makes it nice to "attack" bucks by hopscotching around.
I View attachment 223056
Looks good Muddy. If your Hopscotching at 70, I should be doing the Jitterbug with mine @ 54 (tomorrow actually!). I hope I get a nice present for my Birthday!

I have tied a "bow hanger" made of hooks with 550 chord and riggers tape to the side of it so I don't forget to put in the tree. Works great and always have it.

Only complaint is it comes with those bungee pack straps. They don't stay in place, so replaced them with real pack straps. Also no connector straps to keep the bottom from falling out on you. Friend of mine used it and taught me that lesson.

Shane,
I actually have front and rear connectors to both units. The tree side is to recover if needed and the front side is nice to pull up platform if it sticks to bark on tree. Plus helps reducing effort to inch down tree. I have had couple friends that did not have platform to top rail connected and yep lost it on way down. They were able to somehow hug tree to inch down to it. I have done the belt - suspenders routine since Baker Slim Jim days since they really didn't grip tree all that great.! OK, how many remember Baker tree stands?

I'm partial to porta-climb cadillacs. Not the lightest but lighter. Hunt out of one every year. Climbers rock, hell if you go high enough you can even smoke out of them, height is the best scent control there is.

there is a lone wolf out that's well under 10lb I've been thinking hard about

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm partial to porta-climb cadillacs. Not the lightest but lighter. Hunt out of one every year. Climbers rock, hell if you go high enough you can even smoke out of them, height is the best scent control there is.

there is a lone wolf out that's well under 10lb I've been thinking hard about

I have long wanted one of the Lone Wolfs. I watched the video and the dude was working so hard, I couldn't do it. I get so sweaty using my climber, I literally go up the tree in just about PT gear. The Lone Wolf I saw was like all forearms.

This is how I connected mine and created the bow/ rifle hook. Had an Ameristep before and this is similar to how they connected them. Very efficient. I liked that stand better than the Summit. Gave it to a young guy when we moved back west. Never thought I would move back east and use tree stands again.

8F52AD9F-964E-4E6D-A5DE-39A054D47AEC.jpeg

I have long wanted one of the Lone Wolfs. I watched the video and the dude was working so hard, I couldn't do it. I get so sweaty using my climber, I literally go up the tree in just about PT gear. The Lone Wolf I saw was like all forearms.
This is true. I had a Lone Wolf years ago. I liked the platform but the seat was small and it seemed to require a lot more effort to climb with one. I also feel much more secure with a bar in front of me at height. I know the bar can be a bit of an obstacle with a compound bow but I still don't like the open front models. Im
Using my Summit more than I thought this season due to some of the comments in this thread. You can't deny that it gives you a lot more flexibility and there's no substitute for being able to get up higher than the average ladder stand gets you, IMHO.

This is true. I had a Lone Wolf years ago. I liked the platform but the seat was small and it seemed to require a lot more effort to climb with one. I also feel much more secure with a bar in front of me at height. I know the bar can be a bit of an obstacle with a compound bow but I still don't like the open front models. Im
Using my Summit more than I thought this season due to some of the comments in this thread. You can't deny that it gives you a lot more flexibility and there's no substitute for being able to get up higher than the average ladder stand gets you, IMHO.
Hazmore Products has a net seat replacement for the Lone Wolfe climbers.

I love Summit stands myself but this year I switched to a saddle just for portability and tree options. So far, I dig it. Nothing harvested yet and you can't get super high but **** can you get into some awesome trees a climber just can't. Not cheap or effortless but super versatile and stealthy. I'll still be using my Summits but not as much as I used to.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.