Gen II PST

coyotelite

Im about 3 days away from pulling the trigger on the gen II pst 5-25 sfp. I've heard the gen II are quite the improvement over the gen I. Any opinions on this scope before I pull the trigger? (By the way I'm getting a 50% discount so the price is a huge factor)

I bought a ffp version . Very pleased. Tracks and resets . I was going to purchase a second one , but the wife surprised me with a NF for Xmas.

20171230_090341.jpg
Pic

I have the PST Gen II 5-25x50 with low Vortex precision matched pair on my Remington 700- sitting on a Leupold Mark 4 base (20 moa). I have the caps, too. Fits nicely!

Attachments

• r700lr300wm.jpg
    r700lr300wm.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 120
They are a huge improvement over the gen 1 pst. I have a gen 1 pst it leaves a lot to be desired. My Sightron S3LR is better in every way especially optically. I have a $350 Alpen Apex HD that's clearer/crisper than my pst.

I have been playing around with a gen II 3-15. I like the scope, lots of good features.
But...
One problem I've seen is with looking in the direction of the sun, the veiling glare (if I'm saying that correctly) is less than ideal. It's optical performance is degraded quite a bit. And by "direction of" I don't mean directly at the sun I mean in the general direction. Sunshade helps but it still isn't what I'd expect out of a $1000 scope. Heard lots of guys complaining about the first gen, anyone else see this with the II's?

Brovo 4,
In my Gen 2 5-25 I'm having less veiling than other scopes I've had.
In your experience which scopes produced the least veiling?
Thanks.

I haven't really delt with this, to this degree, until now. The only other scopes I had out at that time were a NXS, Leupold VX-3, and Weaver Super Slam. I had a little glare in these but nothing detrimental. The Vortex I kept checking to see if I breathed on a lens or if it had a dusty lens. It looked like a white haze, like fog that disappeared if I turn the rifle away from the sun.

My Superslam 4-20 is awful! That scope was simply unusable during dusk during Thanksgiving, luckily I bring a backup rifle ( which was wearing a Gen2 ) during hunting trips.

That Superslam motivated me to check all my scopes. I replaced it with a VX6 3-18 it still veils but 1/2 as bad. I wonder if there is a lense cleaner that would help, I don't know. Maybe I'm getting a oil film on the objective lense, but I believe veiling is a function of light reflecting on the internal walls.??

Last edited:
I may be able to get out tomorrow and if so I will really pay attention to each of them. Maybe set them all up at the same time and compare.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.