PST vs. VX-III vs. SIII

Firecat

Three scopes have made the short list.

Vortex PST 6-24 x 50mm EBR-1
Sightron SIII 6-24 x 50mm Mil-Dot
Leupold VX-III 6-20 x 50MM LR Target Duplex

These three scopes seem to be in roughly the same category and price range. I have read a fair amount on the Vortex and the Leupold. However, there is not much that I can find about the Sightron. Which would you choose and Why. I have a budget of $800.00 tops out at $950.00. Is there anything else that I should consider. The rifle is a Sendero SF-II 300 RUM. I have a EBR 20 MOA rail and 30mm Rings. This is a long range rig and and will be used north of 1K target, but up to 1k hunting. I appreciate any advice that you may be willing to give.

You cant go wrong with leupold. I have always had good luck with them. All the leupolds that I have track perfectly, return to zero, and are very durrable. The customer service is second to none also.

Leupold is like the 30-06 in competition. It had it's glory days, and there's nothing wrong with em, but there are much better scopes to be had in the price range! I have two Sightron SIIIs, a 6-24 and a 8-32. Both are awesome, track perfectly, lots of internal elevation, good glass, very good value. I have also shot plenty of leupy's, and a buddy of mine is. Big fan, the mk4 is better competition for the sightron's, but they are significantly more expensive.

I have also read, but have not tried, a new PST, supposedly the glass is superb, cannot speak for reliability however, not saying they aren't reliable, just I don't know of/how reliable they are.

You will definitely not be disappointed with a sightron. However PSTs
may be worth looking into.

I have all three and just received my PST. The Vortex seems to be the best of the bunch. The Sightron has really good glass but the PST has a better reticle and a lighted reticle. The PST has the zero stop feature that is also really nice, main problem is availability.
I would rate the Vortex first, Sightron second and Leupold third.

Thanks for your input fellas. I appreciate the feedback. I like both the Vortex and Leupold glass. I have not been able to look through a SIII yet. I wish that we had a decent place close to compare them all side by side. I keep leaning more and more towards the vortex, but like mentioned above availability is key.

I have a vx-III in 3.5-10 and I havnt seen a scope yet that I could see the antlers in the morning with as well. I am also looking at those same three scopes for a new purchase.

338 Bruce, I see that you are in Washington. I am in Cedar City. Fun to see someone local. I know that the VX-III has been a great scope for many years. They have also made some new modifications to it making it even better still. They just recently gave it double erector springs and blackened edged glass. These are two feature that up until this time were only available on the Mark 4 scopes. It is a tough decision to for sure. I know that I could probably be happy with any of these three. Sportsman's in St. George will have the PST's in soon. But they can be really hit and miss. I just see this weather warming up and I am getting the itch to hit the range.

I have both. PST-6-24-50 FFP-MOA. Just got it after one year what. Love everything about it. Zero stop. Know cover to take off to dial up or for wind. Sightron 111 great glass but know zero stop. You have to take off the caps to dial up or for windage. If you can find a PST 6x24-50 i would get one. Life time warrenty.

I have a Sightron SIII in the 6-24x50 LRMD like you mentioned, tracks perfect, I have shot it side by side with my buddies Nightforce 5.5-20, honestly I liked the view through mine better. Zero stops are overrated and over priced in my opinion. I have heard some good and bad reviews of the new PST, I have never heard a bad review for a Sightron in the SIII series. You can check one out here > SIIISS624x50 LR MD LRMD Sightron SIII 6-24x50

Three scopes have made the short list.

Vortex PST 6-24 x 50mm EBR-1
Sightron SIII 6-24 x 50mm Mil-Dot
Leupold VX-III 6-20 x 50MM LR Target Duplex

These three scopes seem to be in roughly the same category and price range. I have read a fair amount on the Vortex and the Leupold. However, there is not much that I can find about the Sightron. Which would you choose and Why. I have a budget of $800.00 tops out at $950.00. Is there anything else that I should consider. The rifle is a Sendero SF-II 300 RUM. I have a EBR 20 MOA rail and 30mm Rings. This is a long range rig and and will be used north of 1K target, but up to 1k hunting. I appreciate any advice that you may be willing to give.
Zeiss Conquest.

Check the classifieds here and keep an eye on Ebay.

Zeiss and Leupold are about all I will put on my rifles. I'll let others experiment with their dollars on the newest entries into the optics market.

For what we pay for top quality optics knowing the company behind them will be here five, ten, or thirty years from now to honor their lifetime warranty matters a great deal to me.

If I could afford USO or NF I'd go with them but I can't.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.