Garmin Xero - update

Shoot, I was hoping my feed was indicating that there was some more practical information about xero experiences to read about.

I think that the simplest answer to the stat question here is by way of example -
say you have made 50 trips to the range with a given rifle/load and shot that setup 20 times each session.

Stdev.p is based on the "population" - the standard deviation around the average velocity for the entire 1,000 rounds you have shot with that setup.

Stdev.s is based on the "sample" - e.g., the standard deviation around the average velocity for the 20 rounds you fired during one session.

If we want to get technical, you'd still only use STDEV.P if you were never going to make anymore of that ammo again. As if you do, or plan to, that 1000 rounds becomes a sample by default.

It also depends on "why" you want to analyze the information. If its purely to see what *happened* past tense of those 1k rounds, then its a population. If you're intending on using it for ammo you're going to or have already made, then it's a sample.

The tripod that comes with the Xero is very compact and lightweight. This, in and of itself, means that it is not overly stable. I have knocked mine over a couple times now by just shifting my front rest around or adjusting a bipod on a rifle. I can see where a heavier, shorter unit would give better stability. other than that, I am really enjoying the reliability and simplicity of the Xero versus the LR. It just plain works, every time.
I just ordered one from Scheels. I was thinking about hanging a throw line weight, like we use for our food bag in bear country from the tripod to stabilize it some; lots of wind here. Thoughts?

I just ordered one from Scheels. I was thinking about hanging a throw line weight, like we use for our food bag in bear country from the tripod to stabilize it some; lots of wind here. Thoughts?
Anything would help. The Xero is so small and light that it doesn't take much to move it around. I'm looking at a couple mini tripods on Amazon that would be better than the stock plastic unit.

Bought a SUNWAYFOTO Table Top Mini Aluminum Tripod T1A12 Tabletop 3 Leg Lock Angles from Amazon a couple of years ago for a long range camera set up, use it at the range for a spotting scope on occasion as well.

Link is:

" amazon.com/gp/product/B09RVKCR9X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 "

Bought a SUNWAYFOTO Table Top Mini Aluminum Tripod T1A12 Tabletop 3 Leg Lock Angles from Amazon a couple of years ago for a long range camera set up, use it at the range for a spotting scope on occasion as well.

Link is:

" amazon.com/gp/product/B09RVKCR9X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 "

I have no problem with the supplied tripod but if I wanted something more stable, your suggestion looks like a good option. However, I did notice that it's listed as "UNAVAILABLE".

I bought a little amazon tripod by adai. Adjustable for height with a little ball head for $19.99. It's sold out now but the red one is the same 'pod without the ballhead for $17.99. They also have one that is fixed, for $12. If you hit the link and go to their store, the one I got is bottom left item. There is a post with my pics in the garmin xero looky loo thread.....

IMG_0580.jpeg

IMG_0568.jpeg

Last edited:
My Question: Any chance LabRadar can stay in business?
I doubt it unless they have something similar/better than the Garmin close to release. I have to assume their revenue is significantly lower than before the Garmin came based on the people dumping them cheap so very few people are buying them new and other people going straight to the Garmin. All the people buying the cheap used Labs may be SOL a year from now when they break and have no support.

I doubt it unless they have something similar/better than the Garmin close to release. I have to assume their revenue is significantly lower than before the Garmin came based on the people dumping them cheap so very few people are buying them new and other people going straight to the Garmin. All the people buying the cheap used Labs may be SOL a year from now when they break and have no support.
The potential of no support does give me pause. "Should I dump mine on the cheap?" has crossed my mind.

So I quite often get accused of "keeping everything"……. I'm sure none of you fall into that category….
Ive read about the occasional concern of the Garmin tipping over etc and seeing other pictures sparked a memory of something in the ole' photo bag (along with the Cannon AE1) from the 80's. Could be a winner and folds up nice and tight! Yes taller so maybe I'll knock it over more but more stable overall. Oh well, time will tell and I may soon be back to the original

Attachments

• IMG_0886.jpeg
    IMG_0886.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0887.jpeg
    IMG_0887.jpeg
    326.3 KB · Views: 26
Bass Pro just sent me my shipping notification for my C1. I almost want to cry tears of joy knowing I won't have to set up my ProChrono anymore ... or forget to turn it off each session... or worry about the sun going low ... or carry that big tripod around ... or ....