Galvanic Corrosion...real or fake news? Also UV Damage to Composite Stocks

nksmfamjp

Simply put, I would like to put a SS Barrel on a M70 carbón steel action and have carbon steel NECG sights on the barrel. All coated with Cerakote.....hunting in the rain sometimes.

Will I have galvanic corrosion? Have you tore apart a rifle and seen it? What do people do to prevent it?

Similar question regarding McMillan, B&C or Manners stocks...

Putting stainless in direct contact with carbon steel sets up one of the conditions for galvanic corrosion (2 dissimilar metals with significantly different resistance to corrosion). You will need water (electrolyte) and oxygen (air) for this to occur. I'm not sure if you could get the receiver and barrel cerakoted separately, prior to assembly, but that would prevent the metals from being in direct contact. In practice, I have seen several blued steel receivers with bare stainless barrels and never noticed or heard of any corrosion occurring at the contact area. I am sure there are some gunsmiths on here that have put stainless barrels on blued steel receivers.

As a side note, it is not uncommon for a stainless 'action' to have a bolt that is not stainless.

Have used stainless barrels on steel actions for years. Several of the barrels have been on and off more than one different action numerous times. No detectable corrosion has been noticed. These rifles have spent plenty days in our "acid" rain and snow! Maybe they are being protected by all the CO2....lol.
My guess is you won't have a problem. If aluminum was involved with the stainless or steel it might be a whole new ballgame.

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.