Repainting composite stock

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by shedhunt, Mar 16, 2014.

1. shedhunt

shedhunt Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have just finished up doing some work on an old Bell and Carlson stock that I purchased. This stock had been painted several different times by others with nasty paint. I am looking for some suggestions on best paint to use that will be as close to factory as possible.

Thank you...

2. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

I have tried lacquer based oven cured and rustoleum spray paints.
    But the lacquer vapors gave me brain damage and the rustoeum peels off or wears off.

I am now using BROWNELLS - ALUMA-HYDE® II
    ALUMA-HYDE® II | Brownells

I have had some problems with it, but Brownells has been very helpful and the stuff is cheap.
    Brownells is like RCBS, they are TOO nice. I feel guilty after they help me more than I deserve.

To really do it right, I need 90 degree weather or direct sunshine. We don't get that for 9 months at a time in the Seattle area. So I made a paint box out of cardboard. I bought a 450 Watt heating plate at Goodwill for $5. They have lots of them. I put that on the bottom. I made a baffle out of cardboard so the hot air can convect up from the hot plate, but paint can't land on the hot plate. I put a meat thermometer in the top. I used a rubber band around two sheet rock screws for a door latch. I draped an old blanket over the box. It gets up to 90 degrees. I hang stocks and barrels from coat hanger wire through to top attached to sticks. When I rotate the sticks, the stocks and barrels rotate inside the box. I open the door and spray some paint in there. Then I close up the box and wait two hours for the paint to cure.

I call it that paint "one part spray epoxy", because after curing, the stuff his thick and hard. It may get dirty, but it is not going to wear off.

Attached Files:

3. tinkerer

tinkerer Well-Known Member

After stripping the old paint off, of course.

After that, I like Krylon Plastic Spray paint. And I recently used their camo line for multi color camo, came out great, even after a satin clear coat.

Larry
    Tinkerer

4. shedhunt

shedhunt Well-Known Member

Thank you for the great information. I will definitely be looking into both of these.