Repainting composite stock

shedhunt

Hello,

I have just finished up doing some work on an old Bell and Carlson stock that I purchased. This stock had been painted several different times by others with nasty paint. I am looking for some suggestions on best paint to use that will be as close to factory as possible.

Thank you...

I have tried lacquer based oven cured and rustoleum spray paints.
But the lacquer vapors gave me brain damage and the rustoeum peels off or wears off.

I am now using BROWNELLS - ALUMA-HYDE® II
ALUMA-HYDE® II | Brownells

I have had some problems with it, but Brownells has been very helpful and the stuff is cheap.
Brownells is like RCBS, they are TOO nice. I feel guilty after they help me more than I deserve.

To really do it right, I need 90 degree weather or direct sunshine. We don't get that for 9 months at a time in the Seattle area. So I made a paint box out of cardboard. I bought a 450 Watt heating plate at Goodwill for $5. They have lots of them. I put that on the bottom. I made a baffle out of cardboard so the hot air can convect up from the hot plate, but paint can't land on the hot plate. I put a meat thermometer in the top. I used a rubber band around two sheet rock screws for a door latch. I draped an old blanket over the box. It gets up to 90 degrees. I hang stocks and barrels from coat hanger wire through to top attached to sticks. When I rotate the sticks, the stocks and barrels rotate inside the box. I open the door and spray some paint in there. Then I close up the box and wait two hours for the paint to cure.

I call it that paint "one part spray epoxy", because after curing, the stuff his thick and hard. It may get dirty, but it is not going to wear off.

Attachments

• 260  pillar bedding 6-7-2013.jpg
    260 pillar bedding 6-7-2013.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Leupold 3.5x10x40 VX-3 CDS EGW mount Burris tac rings Rem700 7mmRM 7-5-2013.jpg
    Leupold 3.5x10x40 VX-3 CDS EGW mount Burris tac rings Rem700 7mmRM 7-5-2013.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Sav 110 223  9-29-2013.jpg
    Sav 110 223 9-29-2013.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Hot box for painting one part epoxy d9-24-2013.jpg
    Hot box for painting one part epoxy d9-24-2013.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 95
Hello,

I have just finished up doing some work on an old Bell and Carlson stock that I purchased. This stock had been painted several different times by others with nasty paint. I am looking for some suggestions on best paint to use that will be as close to factory as possible.

Thank you...

After stripping the old paint off, of course.

After that, I like Krylon Plastic Spray paint. And I recently used their camo line for multi color camo, came out great, even after a satin clear coat.

Larry
Tinkerer

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.