GA Precision build

wjarrell

Talk to Ash yesterday at GA Precision about a 700 rifle build for hunting. I already have a hs sporter stock and Timney trigger. I sent them my 700 long action that they are going to true/ blueprint I'm having them put on a Bartlien #3 1:9 twist in 7mm Rem Mag finished at 26. And they will be tuning my Timney trigger to 2.5 pounds. I was thinking about a finished length at 24 and then adding a muzzle break. Still undecided on the type of brake I want. In the end I don't want the rifle to be too long as it will be my main hunting gun.

Anyway Ash said he is going to build me a very accurate rifle. They are at about a 3 month turn around right now. This is gonna be a long 3 months.

Sounds nice. Yeah, that waiting time is going to feel long. Do you have something else fun to shoot for now?

Sounds nice. Yeah, that waiting time is going to feel long. Do you have something else fun to shoot for now?
Ya I have a 260 that shoots real good to get me by. I also just found a good load for my short barreled model 7 308 so I'll be playing with that one too. I'm gonna be shopping for a new scope as well for my new build so that will keep me occupied.

The best factory brake I tried on my recoil slide is Terminator T3. That's the one I recommend. And I would not shorten the barrel. I did a test in Western Oregon. I had a 28" barrel with a brake installed. For the whole month and a half of deer season I carried that rifle trying to discover how many time the barrel would catch on something. It caught on one bush. I stopped to see how short the barrel and brake would have to be in order to clear. It would have to be 10" shorter. Since there was no problem I left it that long until I had to rebarrel it.

As far as being loud. Guns are loud. If you are going to shoot you should use hearing protection. I don't know anyone who hunts without electronic ear protection.

As far as seeing impacts, I can see them because I have a good brake.

I think 24* will work well for a standard 7rm for mixed use.

More powder more barrel for a given bullet diameter and peak pressure is reasonably true but consider the 28 Nosler has a good bit more powder capacity (H20:100 vs 84) and most are running 26" barrels.

I think 24" is a nice middle ground between a handy OAL and getting most of the efficiency from the cartridge. I guess it comes down also to what max distance you want to take game at and if you plan to sit and roost or have stalk and deal with moving game shots. Personally I think there is a line that is not clear where one has to move to specific builds for specific uses at either extreme.

I personally do not see the need for a brake on the 7rm as its recoil has never bothered me but other people are effected differently not to mention injuries etc.. As long as people are familiar with the effects of a brake both positive and negative its up to them. I just do not like to add any thing to OAL unless its setup a hide and ambush type hunting. IN those cases as long as its not to heavy and long to pack into place its gtg.

no but he has a hell of a rep over on snipershide and in the mil police community

Yes I've had three rifles built by GAP and all of them meet or exceed their accuracy standards. George and his boys know how to build a one-holder....

My prized possession is their Extreme Hunter, a 6.5 SAUM.

Well I got my barreled action back a couple days ago. Put it all back together and made some loads last night and shot it today.

Rifle specs,
700 long action
Bartlein #3 1-8.7 twist finished at 26" plus a micro bastard break
HS sporter stock
Timney trigger
Nightforce SHV 5-20 with Talley lightweights

I shot some factory ELDX bullets for barrel break in and then it was off to my reloads. Best load it shot was right at .5 MOA for 4 shots. I'll load another 15 or so and shoot through the chrono but it's looking good so far. If this load stays consistent I'm not sure I'll try other powders or bullets.

168 vld
Norma brass
CCI 250
70.5 retumbo
.010 jumb
3.410 coal

My 4th shot is the bottom left. I usually only shoot 3 shot groups but I didn't on this one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    799.6 KB · Views: 144
GA makes beautiful, practical, accurate and dependable rifles. 3 of my shooting group have them and they are wonderful. Been thinking about them A LOT!

The one deviation is the group of guys I have been hunting with for 25 years will not allow a rifle with a muzzle brake into our hunting camp (break for the grammer/grammar post).

If you are shooting with someone near you it is just plain not fair to them and their hearing.

My 7 RM's are 24". Someday I might rebarrel to 26"

The one rifle I took on trade had a brake. Has a cap machined for it and never looked back.

I don't understand why anyone would not use electronic hearing protection and not be concerned about whether their friend has a brake or not. Seems 20th century to me.
On a 10 day moose or elk hunt where you are calling and listening and moving, it just plain does not work. If you are truck hunting for antelope you can take them off the dash and put them one.

Riding a horse in the bush makes wearing muffs is not practical.

There are dozens of specific situations where they can work.

For my opportunities they are just not practical.

Each situation works differently. And trust me, I will never give up my 2 pair of electronic muffs. When I RSO and shoot F Class they are priceless and practical.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.