GA Precision build. Help me decide!

Have you held a MCS-T stock? If you haven't, I recommend you do before you choose one for a build.

I live in the east but this rifle will be for big game. Will be going out west often and to Alaska in 2021. I'm pretty set on the proof barrel. Aesthetically a proof carbon barrel and a manners carbon stock can't be beat in my opinion. Anything I can do to get weight down is also a plus. I have both a 300 win mag and a 7mm rem mag so I want to do something a bit different here. Cost of ammo isn't too much of s concern for me in a hunting rifle since I won't be shooting it a ton.
I just built a rifle very similar to what you are describing. Manners carbon stock, proof Sendero lite, 28 Nosler. You are right, it just looks cool. If I had it to do over I would not. If I ever do another carbon barrel it will not be a seriously overbore magnum. It holds heat like crazy, and builds it quick. If I did another one in 7MM I think a 280AI is the biggest I would go. I really like the gun, but you just cannot shoot it much. I would choose a less overbore cartridge if set on a proof barrel. Since you don't reload, and are going to Alaska, if you have your heart set on the Proof, I would lean more toward a 300WM, 338WM, or even a 375HH. Easy to find ammo. HH can be found on the shelf in any big game area anywhere in the world. 300WM almost as common, and 338 usually. Just my $.02 and I promise its worth at least what you paid for it.

One other thing. You aren't saving much wt. If you use a steel action you will be about 7lbs bare. Add a long range scope, mounts, bipod, and you are instantly over 10. A Sendero lite weighs about the same as a fluted #4, close anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.