Full Length or Neck Only; What's Best Resizing for Accuracy?

All of this theorizing is great. Currently groups are being shot at 1000yds that are in the 2" range for 5 shots, in good early morning conditions, with full length sized cases with a few thousandths of runout in them. Its just not something we really bother to check, because testing has shown that we are not seeing it effect groups. Thats Benchrest. In hunting rifles, 3 shot groups in the 3-4" range are common with full length sized sized cases with up to .005" runout. Single groups are one thing, aggregates are what really shows you consistent accuracy potential. Current agg records are held with the same processes. My advise is, if your not shooting smaller than that, (world record level) than full length sizing and runout is not whats holding you back. I think working on all levels of rifle building and reloading is good for advancing the sport but I also think it should be in perspective. Most rifles dont shoot to their potential because the owner is not loading the right recipe. The right powder, primer, bullet, charge and seating depth will take you farther than you would think.

Most rifles dont shoot to their potential because the owner is not loading the right recipe.
I think most rifles aren't shot to their potential because their owner's marksmanship skills are not up to the task. A tough pill to swallow? It's a fact.

Let a dozen strangers shoot a couple groups with your best stuff from a bench hand holding the bagged rifle to their shoulder. Then do it again with different people

Last edited:
I think most rifles aren't shot to their potential because their owner's marksmanship skills are not up to the task. A tough pill to swallow? It's a fact.

Let a dozen strangers shoot your stuff from a bench hand holding the bagged rifle to their shoulder. Then do it again with different people
I would love to see my rifles shot by someone better than me. I just don't see a bunch of guys where I shoot that are students of shooting

Let a dozen strangers shoot a couple groups with your best stuff from a bench hand holding the bagged rifle to their shoulder. Then do it again with different people
Funny you say that. I built a rifle and one of our competitors from Deep creek kept it tuned. If you had never shot any form of competition you could shoot this rifle for a match, free. These brand new shooters with little experience shot excellent. I remember at least one in the 2s. They were competitive, because the rifle was tuned. It's a fact, check the ibs website for results. No bs, every group is recorded. Sling supported rifles would be quite different.

Funny you say that. I built a rifle and one of our competitors from Deep creek kept it tuned. If you had never shot any form of competition you could shoot this rifle for a match, free. These brand new shooters with little experience shot excellent. I remember at least one in the 2s. They were competitive, because the rifle was tuned. It's a fact, check the ibs website for results. No bs, every group is recorded. Sling supported rifles would be quite different.
How much marksmanship advice and hints were they given before they shot?

What rifle type, benchrest in free recoil or other type held to their shoulder?

Last edited:
Last summer, I let a fellow who had never shot a rifle before shoot my 6.5 creedmoor at my 500 yd gong. He center up on the first shot. When my son was about 11 years old, I took his 25-06 and fired one round at a 500yd scrap steel plate. The next evening he fired one round from it into that same steel, his bullet hole and my bullet hole from the previous evening were touching. I've done this several times. I would fire a round, then let him fire a round and they would touch. So maybe that's being lucky alot but I really think if you've got a gun that will shoot then a fellow's grandma could do pretty decent with it.

I would like to add though. I think it can be a different story than that if it's a ultra sized round with ultra recoil

How much marksmanship advice and hints were they given before they shot?

What rifle type, benchrest in free recoil or other type held to their shoulder?
Does it matter? 5 minutes of instruction vs guys with decades of experience? Very few new shooters are comfortable with free recoil. Most will hold the rifle. With a good rifle and a good tune you have to try screw it up. Thats been my experience anyhow. Problem is most are not tuned well. I dont care how hard you can hold, you cant out shoot the rifle or its tune. The tune is so much more critical than its given credit. The best built rifle in the world wont shoot for beans with the wrong tune. Too often one small group is considered the end of load development. Then theres the idea that a rifle has a "load". The load is changing constantly and needs to be chased all the time. I guess I am getting off topic, but the point Im trying to make, and hopefully help some readers, is that if you get your rifle tuned right, you will be 90% of the way there and farther than most. You can actually get away with pretty sloppy reloading when the tune is right.

Last edited:
Alex ,to your point I was at range,this ten years ago.Leo was fire forming. He had a 3/4 sticky dot @300. He said you want shoot.His light gun at time some dasher,he said trigger light.I was behind gun not even in scope yet,shot gun center of dot.Looked at him surprised,He frown told you trigger was light,like 2oz.Wasnt ready for that did better next shot.Back then I asked Tom how often he annealed,said I just shoot them ten times and chuck brass.Those guys,as you can shoot.

An accurate 15lb rifle & 16 ounce trigger can make alot of people shoot fairly decent.
Had 6 guys up at hunting camp one year that wanted to shoot a plate at 1000. Had them lay down prone with my 13lb edge and light trigger. Exactly as you said. All 6 hit the 18" plate when none had shot a real LR rifle in their lives.
edit to avoid hijacking.... loads were full length sized :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.