From the beginning

shortpants

New to reloading so I'm sorry if this comes out sounding silly.

Let's say I want to find a good LRH load for my rifle Brand X in caliber X, doesn't matter. I've got 2 different bullets, a few different powders, and a couple different primers I could experiment with. I want to find the combo that is the most accurate in my rifle. My intensions are to do a ladder test but do I ladder test each of these several different combos or do I narrow down the combos first and then ladder test the one that is most accurate? When I ladder test how many of the same do you load up and how many grains do you go up at a time? I've noticed in reading some of the past threads about ladder testing that you don't all do it the same. Some do it past 800yds. and rely more on what the impacts show while others do it much closer and rely more on velocities. I thought the original ladder test was done relying on impacts and going up in powder volume with each shot. If this is the case it would seem pointless to rely on velocities because you could not get an accurate ES/SD.

I want to start precision handloading and know I have much to learn but it is easier to cheat and learn it right from you guys than it would be to learn from my own mistakes even though I know there will still be plenty of them.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason, check this out.

OCW Overview - Dan Newberry's OCW Load Development System

If you think you might want to try it let me know and I'll send you a work-up calculator I put together in Excel based on his work. It will make sense of everything.

P.S. Don't concern yourself too much at first with having a low ES/SD. That is only a bonus if that happens! Concern yourself more with having an optimal charge that consistantly hits at the same point of impact. You can tune a load with seating depth to improve your ES/SD afterwards. Read his material and you'll understand what I am trying to say.

WRG

Jason, check this out.

OCW Overview - Dan Newberry's OCW Load Development System

If you think you might want to try it let me know and I'll send you a work-up calculator I put together in Excel based on his work. It will make sense of everything.

P.S. Don't concern yourself too much at first with having a low ES/SD. That is only a bonus if that happens! Concern yourself more with having an optimal charge that consistantly hits at the same point of impact. You can tune a load with seating depth to improve your ES/SD afterwards. Read his material and you'll understand what I am trying to say.

WRG

ES/ED?? What does this mean?
I am interested too. I will read that as well.

Lets take this one step further.... I have a gun that has a load worked up. Shoots .4MOA
I want to change the bullet. What's the best way to do that? I don't have a Chrono yet but I worry more about accuracy now and I will get the chrono soon!!!
Thanks
Mario

I've noticed in reading some of the past threads about ladder testing that you don't all do it the same. Some do it past 800yds. and rely more on what the impacts show while others do it much closer and rely more on velocities. I thought the original ladder test was done relying on impacts and going up in powder volume with each shot. If this is the case it would seem pointless to rely on velocities because you could not get an accurate ES/SD.

I find the close impacts usually have a low ES; especially when shooting great distances. if you can't shoot at a great distance, a chronograph logging the velocities is the next best thing.

ES/ED?? What does this mean?
I am interested too. I will read that as well.

Lets take this one step further.... I have a gun that has a load worked up. Shoots .4MOA
I want to change the bullet. What's the best way to do that? I don't have a Chrono yet but I worry more about accuracy now and I will get the chrono soon!!!
Thanks
Mario
ES: Extreme Spread
SD: Standard Deviation

They are chronograph lingo. ES is the greatest velocity spread for a specific load. SD is a calculation derived from the velocities logged and the number of them.

I only care about ES; it only takes one shot to wound an animal, so all my velocities need to be uniform.

When I change any part of a load, I start over with a new ladder test.
You'll get to know about where to start the test when you have done it enough; I usually find a sub-moa load within 10 shots.

lightbulblightbulblightbulbThanks for the link! I need to do some more reading on that site because I'm not seeing the difference between OCW and ladder testing but will read more when I get time. I did read the article in the link and it was exactly what I was looking for. It makes a lot of sense. I've never used excel and to be honest about the only thing I use a computer for is email and this website. I am always willing to learn however so I will hit you up on your offer.
Thanks again,
Jason

Ok so now I've read every page on Dan's website in the link provided above. Very interesting stuff for sure. He appears to be very detail orientated to come up with such a regimin but then you read about his reloading habits and he doesn't do a lot of the stuff I read about on here that is crucial for long range accuracy. He never mentions long range come to think of it though so his habits probably would work fine for 1/2moa @ 500 and under. Love his OCW test!!! Thanks again for the link. It helped clear up the fog between my ears for sure!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.