Beginning Reloader

ramp

would like to start reloading.Can anyone recommend a good starting press.Been hunting all my life but have never reloaded. Will not be loading many to start with but would like to try and see if I like it.
Thanks Ramp

I started with the RCBS master reloading kit which has the "Rockchucker" press and a bunch of other stuff you will need to get started. I think the only other stuff you will NEED will be your reloading dies and appropriate shell holder and your components (Bullets, powder, primers and brass). The reloading manual is very easy to understand and the press is very strong which I feel are the most important parts (IMHO). Everything else can build on these. Price when I got mine was about $250 about 12 years ago.

If your starting off, buy the RCBS Master kit around $250. It comes with almost everything you need except a trimmer, dies and the componets. Althrough you can reprime with the press, buy a lee or RCBS handpriming tool, the Lee is a lot cheaper and does a fine job. Also get a tumbler of some sort. RCBS, Hornady, Redding, Forester all make good stuff at reasonable prices, just make sure you buy quality the first time around, it will save you the trouble of having to buy it in the future. Good luck and have fun!

I got a Midway flyer today and at the top of the back page they are advertising a RCBS Master reloading kit with the newer Rockchucker "Supreme" press for only $230

www.midwayusa.com Part #646-599

The Lyman crusherII expert kit is a great deal with plenty of extras.I own RCBS but my son in law recieved a Lyman for Christmas and it is a good looking outfit!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

RAMP, THE ROCKCHUCKER IS HARD TO BEAT, LEE PRIMING TOOL AND REDDING DIES AND A GOOD MEASURE LIKE THR RCBS OR REDDINGS AND YOU WILL BE SET, AS OTHER POSTERS HAVE MENTIONED BUY QUALITY THE FIRST TIME AND IT WILL SAVE YOU IN THE LONG RUN, ONCE YOU GET INTO IT GOOD. WILSON AND SINCLAIR MAKE FINE RELAODING TOOLS AND HAROLD CULVER POWDER MEASURES ARE GREAT TOO,

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts