Fresh Buck Rubs

I have a group of Muley's that hang out around my place every winter. They come in to eat the goat and chicken grain we put out for our animals as well as the hay we put out for the mule. They rub my trees all winter long. I love seeing them so I guess its just the price you pay. View attachment 429521View attachment 429519
Thats pretty smart keeping them in a pen untill the first day of the season. We usall just tie them to a tree in the woods. Makes it more relistic when we drag them out of the woods. 🤣

This is GA and not seeing "Rubs", but active "Scrapes". You will get Does coming into a second Heat if not bred the first Rut. Should also see "Scrapes". I see scrapes year-round on our property where the Does and Bucks are letting each other know they are still round.

In SEGA I haven't seen an deer with headgear on my cameras in a couple of weeks but there were fresh scrapes everywhere Monday.

In SEGA I haven't seen an deer with headgear on my cameras in a couple of weeks but there were fresh scrapes everywhere Monday.
Yep lost their antlers with this last cold snap. Scrapes are year round and in same places. I had a GPS mapping of Scrapes and sure enough they use them year to year.

There are no hard fast rules in nature but from what I've always been told is there are too many does in the area when you are still seeing rutting behavior past a normal rutting period for your area. The bucks can't breed all does in time. This can run them so hard they can't recover body mass and fat before the winter. Many won't survive depending on food availability. Most crops have been harvested so that table has been cleared for the most part. A couple years ago, we had a spotted fawn hit by a car during the rut which in my neck of the woods is early to mid November. That fawn probably wouldn't have put on enough weight to make it through the winter if it hadn't been hit. Breading that late effect morality rates of both does and bucks IMHO.

There are no hard fast rules in nature but from what I've always been told is there are too many does in the area when you are still seeing rutting behavior past a normal rutting period for your area. The bucks can't breed all does in time. This can run them so hard they can't recover body mass and fat before the winter. Many won't survive depending on food availability. Most crops have been harvested so that table has been cleared for the most part. A couple years ago, we had a spotted fawn hit by a car during the rut which in my neck of the woods is early to mid November. That fawn probably wouldn't have put on enough weight to make it through the winter if it hadn't been hit. Breading that late effect morality rates of both does and bucks IMHO.
Yes some places up in the North there is not enough feed for Bucks to recover. A Breeding Buck will lose 25%+ of its body muscle and fat during the RUT. If the Buck doesn't have the feed and a cold winter, they most likely won't make it BUT their genes are passed along.

I pulled this camera, this morning . looks like he has short ragged nubs . just fell off I'm guessing .

IMG_0001.JPG

It's definitely over here in southern middle Tennessee but there's always there's some stragglers that do not
C1F19339-5AB5-4C17-8DA1-BE0C32E56F8A.jpeg
know it yet.

Recent Posts