Forster ultra seating die and Dillion 550

In a Co-Ax and using the generic Forster seater, you will seat bullets within a +/-.00075" window, or .0015". The Ultra is no more accurate (I own several Ultra seaters) than the standard seater. I like the Forster a little more than the Redding. Less backlash, and maybe a touch tighter. Whidden seaters look good, but have never used one.

The Co-Ax is a well known press for being at the top right out of the box, but still only as good as the end user. I've used everything from an RCBS Partner to the Redding Ultra something. None are better than an arbor press with inline dies. Setting things up is very easy with the Co-Ax, and most all of already know this. Still you can do things to make like easier here and there. A used to be close friend of mine uses the big Redding, and I've done a lot of 30-06 and .444 on it. It was OK, but really no better than the Rock Chucker or a Couple older presses I've used. Yet the Co-Ax was clearly easier to work with.

The Redding turret press has a reaction bar to help fight the indexing plate flex. Have seen it in use, and it's probably better than the other indexing presses. I'll do just fine with a single stage press; thank you!
gary

Arbor press is really nice. Portable too. So much so you can take it to the range and load on the bench. Great for neck sizing and bullet seating.

Only thing is you can't full length resize on an arbor press. You still are going to have to have a single stage at some time or another. Really I believe you can load just as good on the co-ax as the arbor.

IMO, the real value of the Ultra seater is that you can seat the bullet a couple thousands long and use the micrometer head to dial it in exactly.
Great work around!:) Not an answer but that worked for now that I can continue working up a new load for the 300 WM.

Arbor press is really nice. Portable too. So much so you can take it to the range and load on the bench. Great for neck sizing and bullet seating.

Only thing is you can't full length resize on an arbor press. You still are going to have to have a single stage at some time or another. Really I believe you can load just as good on the co-ax as the arbor.

honestly I cannot load as good on the Co-Ax as the arbor press. Close but no cigar! I have ran 20 round lots at under .0005" TIR, but not consistently. I would say .0015" is about right. With an arbor press, I think your looking at .001" TIR. Still I've done twenty round lots close to zero, but not everytime.

I think that as long as everything is threaded (dies), you'll see some error. Maybe somebody needs to invent a better die setup that locks everything in on a taper.
gary

I use a 550, with redding dies for my 338 edge, and a 260. Oal to ogive using comp with 300 gr and 140 gr bergers is within a thou nearly all the time. Out of 50, approx 35 will be at finished oal the first time. The others need final seated 1/2 thou to 1 thou. Rarely I will have 1 that needs 2 thou. When I was using 300 gr smks even with sorted bullets I would get up to 5 thou fairly regularly. For me, other presses had same results. I know several accomplished shooters that use the 550 with great results.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts