Forster ultra seating die and Dillion 550

bob4

I put the two together and wasn't overly impressed.
My end results were .002-3 different measured to the ogive. Was hoping for better but maybe I was asking to much? If so let me know.
Hornady brass and Berger VLD's.
My thoughts are that the tool head isn't completely stationary on the Dillon and can move a couples of thousandths give or take. Only thing I can think of is try and find a way to keep the tool head from jiggling. Any thoughts or ideas?

I really don't think the Dillon 550 was designed for precision reloading. It excels at mass producing excellent ammo.

Have you shot the rounds you loaded? You might just be surprised how accurate they are. Before I expended a bunch of time and money I would see what I had.

If you are disappointed then my advice would be to buy a single stage press for your precision ammo. The forster co-ax would be my pick.

Thanks rcoody. Was kind of afraid I might see that answer. I'm working up a load and have 2 different loads to try, I have an RCBS partner I could use for the precision seating I guess.
Might I lose precision with the bushing neck dies also in this (Dillon) press?

Thanks rcoody. Was kind of afraid I might see that answer. I'm working up a load and have 2 different loads to try, I have an RCBS partner I could use for the precision seating I guess.
Might I lose precision with the bushing neck dies also in this (Dillon) press?

I use a partner for a decapping/bullet pulling press. I would not call that one a precision press at all.

I would agree the 550 is not the perfect precision tool. Check eBay, there are a couple of people who make a precision tool head that eliminates some of the play, still have the base to think about but this may help. And yes I would shoot the rounds and see.

if your seeing .002/.003" TIR, you got a diamond. I saw a 550 (actually three) using Forster seaters, and .006" was the norm. With Dillon or RCBS and Hornaday they were doing about .008".
gary

Thanks everyone. The more I learn the more I realize how little I know.
I use a partner for a decapping/bullet pulling press. I would not call that one a precision press at all.
Nor would I call it a precision tool. Mine sits there as a bullet puller also. Was my first press.
What types of presses should I be looking at? I don't want bottom end but don't want to pay almost 500 for a co-ax.

What about the Bushing-Bump-neck die? Using it in the Dillon I guess I'd lose some of it's benefits also?

Thanks everyone. The more I learn the more I realize how little I know.
Nor would I call it a precision tool. Mine sits there as a bullet puller also. Was my first press.
What types of presses should I be looking at? I don't want bottom end but don't want to pay almost 500 for a co-ax.

What about the Bushing-Bump-neck die? Using it in the Dillon I guess I'd lose some of it's benefits also?

if somebody wants $500 for a Co-Ax, I'd ran as fast as I could from them. They crooks!
gary

if somebody wants $500 for a Co-Ax, I'd ran as fast as I could from them. They crooks!
gary

IMO, the real value of the Ultra seater is that you can seat the bullet a couple thousands long and use the micrometer head to dial it in exactly.

The bullets themselves are not all the same and will be the culprit of a good deal of the seating depth variation you are seeing.

Co-Ax's are $299 at most online vendors. You might be able to find a 10% off code for Midway or some other's and get the price down a bit. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they regretted spending the money for a co-ax, they're that good. I know I don't regret mine.

That being said, any of the big O frame presses can load good ammo. The RCBS rockchucker, redding boss, lyman crusher, or lee classic cast are all good. Setup is more critical on these than the co-ax, you have to chase down and fine tune where the runout is occurring to get the best results. The co-ax is more forgiving with it's self aligning nature but with careful attention you can load fine ammo on the big O frame presses.

Dillon makes great stuff and you can load good ammo on them, but they are mainly designed for high quantity, not high quality ammo.

If a Co-ax is too far out of your price range, check out the Redding Big Boss series of press or the RCBS Rock Chucker. Any solid single stage press will do you well.

An arbor press system is very popular too, but you need to invest in a different die set if you wanted to go that route as they can't use the threading dies you currently have.

IMO, the real value of the Ultra seater is that you can seat the bullet a couple thousands long and use the micrometer head to dial it in exactly.

The bullets themselves are not all the same and will be the culprit of a good deal of the seating depth variation you are seeing.

You must measure to the olgive never to the tip. the forster seating die seats from the olgive and should be very consistent.

I am sure you are not ready to start sorting bullets by bearing length or concentricity yet.

the ultimate bullet sorter http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...topics/2174303/LNIB_Vern_Juenke_Internal_Conc

there are lot of features about the co-ax that make it so good. Too many to list here.

Forster Co-Ax Single Stage Press

In a Co-Ax and using the generic Forster seater, you will seat bullets within a +/-.00075" window, or .0015". The Ultra is no more accurate (I own several Ultra seaters) than the standard seater. I like the Forster a little more than the Redding. Less backlash, and maybe a touch tighter. Whidden seaters look good, but have never used one.

The Co-Ax is a well known press for being at the top right out of the box, but still only as good as the end user. I've used everything from an RCBS Partner to the Redding Ultra something. None are better than an arbor press with inline dies. Setting things up is very easy with the Co-Ax, and most all of already know this. Still you can do things to make like easier here and there. A used to be close friend of mine uses the big Redding, and I've done a lot of 30-06 and .444 on it. It was OK, but really no better than the Rock Chucker or a Couple older presses I've used. Yet the Co-Ax was clearly easier to work with.

The Redding turret press has a reaction bar to help fight the indexing plate flex. Have seen it in use, and it's probably better than the other indexing presses. I'll do just fine with a single stage press; thank you!
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.