Forming WSM Brass out of Ultra Mag Brass

BoatTail

Is it possible to form WSM Brass, out of the full size Ultra Mag Brass? I know the case head and web is slightly smaller on the Ultra Mag. I also know I will likely need a set of forming dies. I'm finding it harder and harder to find WSM brass and looking for options. I have lots of 300 Ultra mag brass and no longer have the rifle. Just wondering if I can form it 90 % of the way, if fire forming would push out the web, remaining case and shoulder to WSM sizes. The need is 270 WSM mostly.

it is possible and not that hard. cut brass slightly longer than needed and form new neck and shoulder with a 300saum die, easier to form with the 30 degree shoulder then finish by fireforming. your biggest problem is brass thickness and the amount of neck turning needed and the continuing donut that will need constant reaming. blowing out the web to WSM dia. is no problem, I have been using SAUM brass in 6.8W and different wildcats since the beginning, the western case is just a short WSM case. the difference is about .005 and has its advantage of eliminating the clicker issues that can sometimes be a problem. also don't forget the annealing after the forming and again after the fireforming but before the sizing.

Is it possible to form WSM Brass, out of the full size Ultra Mag Brass? I know the case head and web is slightly smaller on the Ultra Mag. I also know I will likely need a set of forming dies. I'm finding it harder and harder to find WSM brass and looking for options. I have lots of 300 Ultra mag brass and no longer have the rifle. Just wondering if I can form it 90 % of the way, if fire forming would push out the web, remaining case and shoulder to WSM sizes. The need is 270 WSM mostly.
Do yourself a favor and sell the RUM brass, then place a backorder for the soon to be released Lapua 300 wsm.
Pretty easy to neck it down to .277

With ADG 300 wsm in stock now, why bother with trying to form. Lapua is going to be making 300 wsm and you can always back order Bertram brass for 270 wsm.

Norma and Nosler still make quality 270WSM Brass