Ford Excursion

liltank

Anybody here own a Ford Excursion in either the 7.3L or the 6.0L? What are your experiences? How reliable is the vehicle? What kind of fuel mileage are you getting with it... or got with it if you don't own one anymore? Do you prefer the 7.3 or the 6.0?

I own a 2003 ford limited excursion with 6.0. It is built like a tank very roomy with kids and gets @16mpg. I really love this vehicle on trips. My only draw back is I have had to replace the turbo and the fuel injectors in which two had to be replaced and there was one other thing I believe it had to do with the EGR valve but not sure.
Although all repairs were paid by ford one to there plus was the turbo which was 4 months out of warranty. I have had this vehicle towed 3 time so my confidence level is very low on long trips. Even now at a stop light for some reason it is starting to surge up and down. So I guess another trip to the dealership is coming up. To note this is not a daily driver and only has 38k. I do not have any experience with the 7.3 but I wish that was what I got from what I have read. I would have even dealt with the 10 MPG from the V10 if I would have known. I have heard of other who have had great sucess from the 6.0 but I have not. I love the vehicle just not the motor.
Hope this help

Well that's not encouraging. I have heard from Ford fans that the 7.3 is the way to go. I was reading a ton of blog posts. Fuel mileage seems to vary from 11mpg to 26.... even 28mpg on the highway. The highway would be my usage with occasional towing. Thanks for the input.

THERE IS A TON OF 7.3'S ON THE ROAD. I have 2 of them, my buddies w/tow truck business have rigs w/3-400,000. Mine are f350 trucks,one has 135,000 other 67,000. 16- 18 mpg is all I get, one is close to stock,285 tires, aftermarket turbo,exhaust,chiped. Work truck has 6'' lift and 35'' rubber, exhaust,flatbed, alum boxes,fuel tank,monster bumper w/12,000 warn gets 15 hwy. Truck w/ 2400# camper and tow jeep I get 10, 12 camper no jeep.

The 6.0's are a great motor after they are fixed, there are three issues with them and it's not if they need done but when they need done.

EGR Cooler
Oil Cooler
Head gaskets and studs

Once you fix these issues the 6.0 is great will go many miles and provide great power with the proper tuning. I just sold my 2004 X (52,000 miles) with lift and 35" tires it gets 14-15mpg and 8-9mpg towing a 14,000lb toy hauler. I traded it for a 2011 F250 and it is a *** been in the shop 8 times in the three months I have owned it.

check out
powerstrokenation.org or thedieselgarage.com lots of great info on their sites.

Attachments

• IMG_3088.jpg
    IMG_3088.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 17
Get one with the 7.3, and if/when it dies get an adapter plate and swap in a 12 valve cummins...that will live longer than the rest of the truck...

Came close to going to Excursion back in the final working years and if I don't screw it up here is what I learned.
1. Don't get the NEW powerstroke -get old mod.
2. Get Rear end gear ratio of 3.73 or what ever the # is= GREAT MPG
3. Get the Special CHIP put in, may void warranty-but a contractor in Ktown TN was running 80mph on I-40 and getting 20 pmg for 2 yrs when I met him.
I was this close and retired and did't need it any more.

Hope this helps in some way.:D

T3-OleMan said:
Came close to going to Excursion back in the final working years and if I don't screw it up here is what I learned.
1. Don't get the NEW powerstroke -get old mod.
2. Get Rear end gear ratio of 3.73 or what ever the # is= GREAT MPG
3. Get the Special CHIP put in, may void warranty-but a contractor in Ktown TN was running 80mph on I-40 and getting 20 pmg for 2 yrs when I met him.
I was this close and retired and did't need it any more.

Hope this helps in some way.:D

I had a 99 psd in an f250 6spd 4x4 with 3.73s and 305-70/16s and a "special" chip...I could get 28mpg on the highway and smoke muscle cars all day long...miss that truck....

I had a 99 psd in an f250 6spd 4x4 with 3.73s and 305-70/16s and a "special" chip...I could get 28mpg on the highway and smoke muscle cars all day long...miss that truck....

COOL!

Yea.....the dude I was talking about said he peoed his spouse cause she could not go as fast and get the same MPG as he did in her BMW. Love it when a plan comes together. What would you have got MPG if you had the other Gears????? Don't remember what they were but he said it was the 3.73s that gave the great milage. Plus tallest tire will beat a midget tire also.

Good luck liltank

T3-OleMan said:
COOL!

Yea.....the dude I was talking about said he peoed his spouse cause she could not go as fast and get the same MPG as he did in her BMW. Love it when a plan comes together. What would you have got MPG if you had the other Gears????? Don't remember what they were but he said it was the 3.73s that gave the great milage. Plus tallest tire will beat a midget tire also.

Good luck liltank

The options are 3.73s and 4.10s....with a diesel there is no reason for anything lower than 3.73s....I run 3.55s in my semi and wish I had em in my dodge with the cummins in it....if you keep a powerstroke under 2000 rpm it should get good fuel mileage.....
Once you get a powerstroke it won't take long to get PMS(powerstroke modification syndrome) emptywalletitus..and wifespissedatmeitus.....I used to have em..now I'm a recovering addict...lol...

For longevity the 7.3 is **** near bullet proof & they're reputation is very good. The 6.0 WILL make more power & get better mileage with a few serious caveats. Chip it & watch the torque to yield head studs lift like the prom queen's skirt...there's ~$3800 to fix correctly with ARP studs that won't lift.

Spend the $150.00 & get the EGR delete kit, throw the cooler, line & valve in the trash where they belong (as long as you don't live in Cali!). It's about 8hrs of tearing the top end of your motor apart but it isn't hard (the directions are very good).

After that, just keep your oil clean. The 6.0 is still an HPOP system (high pressure oil pump) instead of the common rail found on the Dura-turd, Cummins & newer PSD's. Last March I traded off my '07 6.0 (hence the name Outlaw6.0) for a 2011 6.7 PSD, the 6.0 was great, I did my homework & after 4yrs it had NEVER been in the shop. There are things to look for for sure, but treated correctly, they should last a good while. My father's 2003 has 140k on it & still runs like a top (we did have to replace the oil pressure sending unit).

I would honestly take the 7.3 over the 6.0. The 6.0 will flat out kick the snot out of the 7.3 in a drag race, but that's about the only thing the 6.0 is better at. The 7.3 will last much longer & cause less headache to boot....

I sure wish they still make the Excursion, I wil Love to have one.

BTW. My 6.7 PSD is a year old next month with zero issues. The urea crap is hard to get used to but a minor inconvenience for 400hp & 800lb/ft of torque...almost as much power as my modded out 6.0...lol with a factory warranty... life is good if you're a diesel guy.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.