For you SAVAGE GUYS!

Nikolakangrga

OK guys,

I just got a savage 116 in .300WM. It only has roughly 30 rounds through it. It is the model without the accutrigger. I have a very hard time owning a stock rifle without making "some" type of upgrade to it. I originally wanted to build something for my wife but decided I wanted to build myself a accurate, "short", ranch rifle that i can use as a short to mid range rifle. I would like to do all the work myself and would like to keep this rifle as light as possible. While trying to keep a "small as possible" budget. My question is....

Barrel: What kind, contour, and length?
Stock: make, model
Trigger: Rifle Basix

Any other "must do's" ?

Thanks guys!

I would like to do "all" the work myself and would like to keep this rifle as light as possible. While trying to keep a "small as possible" budget. My question is....

Any other "must do's" ?

Thanks guys!

Are you looking for a pre-fit barrel or can you chamber, square, crown, etc., ... a blank barrel yourself?

Do you have DIY tools for Savage rifles already?

http://www.westernshooter.com/2009/12/how-to-build-or-rebarrel-savage-rifle.html

Just something to think about. I'm sure others will chime in.

Savage Shooters is also an excellent source of info.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
can't tell you about barrel contour and length because I shoot a .308, but Benchmark make awesome barrels. I have one on my Savage and it's amazing

for a stock, I can't say enough good about Stockade. Kevin Is great to work with. Check them out

can't tell you about barrel contour and length because I shoot a .308, but Benchmark make awesome barrels. I have one on my Savage and it's amazing

for a stock, I can't say enough good about Stockade. Kevin Is great to work with. Check them out

i would like a pre-fit barrel and I will be purchasing all the tools necessary. My buddy also has most of the tools I need.....
Did they start making/selling pre-fits? If so, that's great!

Did they start making/selling pre-fits? If so, that's great!

totally missed the pre-fit part...I guess the answer is no. I Emailed and got a quote on a Barrel for my Savage. Not technically a pre-fit, but not hard to get. ended up getting one of their barrels, but got it through Stockade, and had Kevin install it

OK guys,

I just got a savage 116 in .300WM. It only has roughly 30 rounds through it. It is the model without the accutrigger. I have a very hard time owning a stock rifle without making "some" type of upgrade to it. I originally wanted to build something for my wife but decided I wanted to build myself a accurate, "short", ranch rifle that i can use as a short to mid range rifle. I would like to do all the work myself and would like to keep this rifle as light as possible. While trying to keep a "small as possible" budget. My question is....

Any other "must do's" ?

Thanks guys!
Ok here goes. This is predicated on "light cheap short". Of course its a LA so some of that youre already behind.
I would do a 6.5x47. Easy to find in a prefit. Recoil low. Brass great. TRENDY lol.
20" bbl with "varmint contour". Short enuf for the extra girth to even out.
B&C duramaxx stock. Lightweight and light $$$$.
Trued thick recoil lug.
Do all the standard savage tweaks, lap lugs,true recoil lug+nut.
Trigger I would play with the stock one a bit. I have better luck with stockers than Basix. Jewell when are ya gonna quit hatin on us poor savage nutz?
You could build that whole rig for under $500.
I would trade out the LA for an SA though which QUINTUPLES parts availability and hits the shorter lighter mark. Trading a ready to go 300wm to someone that has a 223 or whatever should be easy. Im sure you could unload it here.

OK, here's my 2 cents worth.

If it was me, and I only wanted a light weight, mid range, I would sell the 300 WM and go with a 308. Maybe a 20" barrel. Probably only stock barrel, maybe even a varmint cut down.

Your money though.

Larry
Tinkerer

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.