Questions For The Savage Guys

Left Hand Dave

Are all Savage short actions of the same DBM model the same except for the bolt face and mag? So can you take any model 11 and build any short action cartridge just by changing the bolt head, if needed and getting the correct mag?

Thanks CM Shooter. Do you know if all of any model are the same shank size. For instance are all Savage 11 Large shank?

On a side note, if your doing a wsm or a saum sized case you'll need a large shank action instead of the small shank which is the standard for savage. Most companies wont do a prefit wsm or saum on a small shank

Not 100% true, there are guys on here who have done WSM build's on small shanks. I believe carbon six does prefits in small shanks for WSM's

On a side note, if you do a WSM DarkEagle does a WSM mag, for the stock savage bottom metal.
I have one of these and they are great. Unfortunately, I don't think DarkEagle makes them anymore...One drawback on a Savage with a WSM cartridge is that the magazine only holds 2 rounds! The DarkEagle will hold 5.
I was thinking of purchasing another one recently and checked his site. He no longer lists a magazine for WSM.
If you want one. I would call or email him.

I have one of these and they are great. Unfortunately, I don't think DarkEagle makes them anymore...One drawback on a Savage with a WSM cartridge is that the magazine only holds 2 rounds! The DarkEagle will hold 5.
I was thinking of purchasing another one recently and checked his site. He no longer lists a magazine for WSM.
If you want one. I would call or email him.

I bought mine about 2 months ago, had a two week lead time.

Thanks for all the information everyone. I was thinking about a 25 SAUM build in the future and needed the education in case I see a lefty model 11 action or doner rifle cheep. I think I will look for one that was a WSM. Good info on the mags too I'm going to look into that and let my buddy know.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.