Questions For The Savage Guys

Anyone ever seen the smooth barrel nuts on a savage? They dont have groves for the barrel wrench.
My LRH long action had a smooth nut in it. Their factory barrels are murder to get off when they have the grooved nut in them so I just used a pipe wrench to remove it. It was destroyed, as expected. Replaced it with the precision nut(and lug) supplied by Northland.

My LRH long action had a smooth nut in it. Their factory barrels are murder to get off when they have the grooved nut in them so I just used a pipe wrench to remove it. It was destroyed, as expected. Replaced it with the precision nut(and lug) supplied by Northland.
This is what I do.

I just clamped the barrel in a barrel vise and then put the action wrench from Northland on the barrel nut and turned it off There were no marks on the nut when I got it off. I sprinkled a little rosen on the wrench before clamping it onto the nut.

Look at the big horn barrel nut it allows you to use an 1 1/8" box end wrench very handy and economical if you don't own a barrel nut wrench

BTW the Savage short action is actually a mid-action, so it works very well with longer short cartridges.
I would not go that far. The late 80s up Savage actions are short actions that just happen to be very slightly longer than most SAAMI cartridge lengths. The newer(last couple decades) allow up to between 2.950 and 3.0". The original intermediate("j")actions were around 3.2". A mid action typically allows ~3.2".

I'm going to grab another 10FV after my big game hunts (5 animal to collect) are over and start on another project. 6.5 PRC, 25 SAUM or when Miles is done with development of his 25 Blackjack? The blind mag is plenty long for 6.5 PRC with 156 EOL seated out.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.