For the guys who hunt LR with heavy rifles, a question:

mwkelso

Do you change what you select to go in to your pack? Or do you just train accordingly for the added weight?
The reason I ask is because I am much more comfortable and accurate behind a heavier rifle at long distances (500+) than I am with a typical sporter style rifle using a #2 contour.
Next fall I have a hunt that I have been told the closest range I will shoot is 400yds, but 700+ is pretty common.
From the beach access point, camp is about a 7 mile hike in.
The 300wm I have in mind for the hunt weighs in just over 15lbs.

Do you change what you select to go in to your pack? Or do you just train accordingly for the added weight?
The reason I ask is because I am much more comfortable and accurate behind a heavier rifle at long distances (500+) than I am with a typical sporter style rifle using a #2 contour.
Next fall I have a hunt that I have been told the closest range I will shoot is 400yds, but 700+ is pretty common.
From the beach access point, camp is about a 7 mile hike in.
The 300wm I have in mind for the hunt weighs in just over 15lbs.
When I know I'm taking a heavy rifle, my gear doesn't change, I just deal with the weight of a heavy rifle. I pack pretty minimalist anyway so there isn't really anything that I would consider non essential in my pack.

I used to have a 338 lapua that was about 14 lbs. and it shot awesome. I carried it all over New Mexico and killed an elk and a coues deer with it. Then I built a 6.5 Sherman and a 7 Sherman MAX and both of those rifles weigh 9-10 lbs. They also
Shoot awesome. The 338 Lapua would be more practical if I were shooting game past 1000 yards but I don't. So now, I build rifles that weigh 9-10 lbs fully decked out. Seems to be about the perfect balance of weight and accuracy at distance for me.

Last edited:
While I'm no expert western hunter I do carry a rifle around a lot and if I can finish a rifle in the 10-12 pound range (with optics) I find that to be the sweet spot for me.

I've lugged 14-18 pound rifles around and while it's not unbearable I'd just rather not to allow for the essentials in my pack. After all we aren't getting any younger.

A heavy rifle on a sling sucks, but you hardly notice the extra 5 pounds in your pack.
This is true for sure. That extra weight on the one shoulder has never been fun for me no matter what rifle
Kifaru gunbearer
This looks like a great setup. Is it pretty effective for transferring the weight of the rifle to the hip?

Last time I packed 8 miles into the wilderness, I packed everything up that I wanted and then weighed my pack. I thought a beer would probably taste pretty good each night, so I added 6 lbs of good stout ipa's to my pack....it was well worth it.
My rifle weighed 13.
Keep your priorities in line and you'll be fine

I start training for hunting season as soon as the snowpack allows
IMG_20190714_094412.jpg

I've hunted with heavy chassis rifles for a while and last year I had enough. I built a 10lber. Folding chassis and a suppressor. I'll never go back to a heavy. 8-10 is a nice blend for packing and stability. There is no reason for me to haul a pig around the mountain anymore. I'd rather carry 5 lbs more food, snacks, or comfort items. My day pack is 42lbs usually, all equipment minus clothes I take it the field. A back pack hunt for 5 days is 60lbs. For me, I notice the biggest issue is just getting used to the weight on the hips, shoulders, and lower back. I hike all year and usually take my pack and carry the same basic weight. Over time the weight becomes normalish and doesn't bug me.

Hey there. I would suggest using the rifle you are most comfortable with and have confidence in. Nothing like having a gun you don't trust. 15lbs is not awful. I would not adjust anything in my pack. I stay in great shape and would hope that 5 lbs extra doesn't break me. I have a light rifle and the whole setup with sling, scope, and bipod....I am still at 11 lbs.

With that being said. I would focus on dropping 5 lbs by getting some lighter gear. I got a new pack a few years back and its over a pound lighter that my previous pack, I got a lighter tripod and a smaller and lighter packable jacket..... but I still carry about 30 lbs on an average day hunt. I also carry a jet boil and coffee all two time. Lol.

Just make sure you have a good sling, or a good system in your pack to carry the rifle. You will hardly notice the extra weight.

Sounds fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.