For all you Westerners. East Coaster here.

rkwjunior

Being from the Northeast, Massachusetts specifically, there really is no such thing as "long range", there are a few ranges across New England that stretch to 600yrds and only one that I know of that goes to 1000yrds.
But there is something about being out in various types of terrain at various distances without a range officer looking over your shoulder, or range times, or qualifications or any of that garbage.

So after watching countless YouTube videos of you lucky bastards shooting these distances or longer, just a short drive away, or maybe not so short for some, (but atleast accessible without range memberships) ive gotten to thinking about maybe purchasing some land out West.

Do most of you own large acreage or do you mostly drive out to public lands and shoot?
Wondering if it's worth buying acreage, or rather buy a small plot of land with a house and drive to local public lands to shoot?

Also, I saw a few plots of land forsale that have access to hunting tag unit areas, or whatever it's called. Is there any benefits to owning these parcels other than being able to have first dibs on pulling land owner tags? Can a profit be made in anyway as a land owner with these hunting units?

Any info would be great, And what you do for accessing long range where you live.

Rick.

Lots of public land to shoot on near me. But I am also member of 2 ranges. the farthest one is an hour away, and you can shoot 1000+ yards. It is windy a lot of times, but it's only $15/ year.
In Montana to get land owner preference for elk you need 640 acres in the unit you want to draw. With a lot of OTC areas, land owner preference doesn't apply in too many districts.

Lots of public land to shoot on near me. But I am also member of 2 ranges. the farthest one is an hour away, and you can shoot 1000+ yards. It is windy a lot of times, but it's only $15/ year.
In Montana to get land owner preference for elk you need 640 acres in the unit you want to draw. With a lot of OTC areas, land owner preference doesn't apply in too many districts.
What state are you in and what area?

Even if you live in a city in Wyoming…..it's generally a pretty short drive to some BLM. And generally……if you check the area pretty closely, you can safely shoot about as far as you can see!

I suspect that the majority on the forum live in or very near a town…..likely few own any appreciable acreage!

Though, as of recent…..the feds are taking control of a lot of BLM property and making it off limits to American citizens! 🤬

For myself, a 300 yard range in the backyard and unlimited range across the river behind the house …..a pain to cross! Or, get in the truck, drive a couple of miles across the paved road to unlimited range!

It's nice living in the least populous state in the union……and we wish to keep it that way! 😉 memtb

Last edited:
In Arizona, you wouldn't have any advantage to acreage on getting tags. Draw system only.
As far as shooting, public land or private ranges can give you 1000+ yard ranges in real country with challenging conditions if you wanted.
No landowner tags exist here.

Even if you live in a city in Wyoming…..it's generally a pretty short drive to some BLM. And generally……if you check the area pretty closely, you can safely shoot about as far as you can see!

I suspect that the majority on the forum live in or very near a town…..likely few own any appreciable acreage!

Though, as of recent…..the feds are taking control of a lot of BLM property and making it off limits to American citizens! 🤬

For myself, a 300 yard range in the backyard and unlimited range across the river behind the house …..a pain to cross! Or, get in the truck, drive a couple of miles across the paved road to unlimited range!

It's nice living in the least populous state in the union……and we wish to keep it that way! 😉 memtb
Actually we are overpopulated in Wyoming, but I hear Nebraska has a lot of room. :rolleyes: I live in town these days, but it is a 10 minute drive to a 1000 yard range. It's also a 20 minute drive to BLM property.

This was my thought. You have the ocean, which is pretty much long range to the next chunk of land to the east. Plus, you have the bobbing on the waves for additional challenge factor.
If it was practical people would do it. Out there bullets travel forever. And in the summer there are boaters everywhere.
I'll have to make floats with targets and an anchor. Lol
Go shoot seal and sea lions on the ocean...
Ten miles out nautical no one would see you.....
Haha seals are protected here

I'm a New Englander myself. I looked into land as well. I decided against it after shooting at the newly reopened Granby Bow and Gun Club long range. It goes to 1000 yard range with lots of steel. It's not your typical north east rifle range. The terrain there can make wind calls really challenging.

I'm a New Englander myself. I looked into land as well. I decided against it after shooting at the newly reopened Granby Bow and Gun Club long range. It goes to 1000 yard range with lots of steel. It's not your typical north east rifle range. The terrain there can make wind calls really challenging.
IMG_5771.jpeg