follow up shots with suppressor

TYoung

Hopefully I explain this correct, but has anybody seen that the point of impact changes if you do a quick follow-up shot with a suppressor before letting all the Smoke Clear out of the barrel? I've noticed that if I shoot two consecutive shots together the point of impact will change but if in between the shots I remove the bolt and blow out all the smoke my point of impact stays the same. The concern I have is out in the field when hunting and you need to make a quick follow-up shot how do you compensate for the smoke in the barrel? is there any little tool out there that people use to blow out the smoke from the previous shot? *note- If I wait about 30 seconds the Smoke Clears out by itself and the point of impact stays the same.

You will get a slight muzzle velocity variance as well as some first round pop due to more oxygen in the barrel/suppressor for your first round-- - but I haven't noticed a drastic difference in speeds nor any poi change in my situation. You sure it's not shooter induced due to fast follow up shot ?

In theory, it should not happen. What brand can is it?

Here is 10 shots on a target at 1K, 10 rd mag, 6XC, top bullet splash was put on for my aiming point, dialed away from it, there are 8 shots in the cluster, one fell low left, all shot within a minute. Target size on the body is 20" high, 24" wide, giving idea of group size. Lane 30 cal suppressor.
The barrel and suppressor were pretty warm when I started, smoking hot when done.
I have never encountered your issue.
6XC.jpg

You will get a slight muzzle velocity variance as well as some first round pop due to more oxygen in the barrel/suppressor for your first round-- - but I haven't noticed a drastic difference in speeds nor any poi change in my situation. You sure it's not shooter induced due to fast follow up shot ?
First time it happened, I thought maybe that it was me, but I've tried this several times now and each time, if I don't let the smoke clear I will have a good hit on the first round and then the next two if I follow suit Within 20 seconds or so they will miss the target completely I've been shooting a 12 inch plate at 400 yards. If I take a minute after each shot to remove the bolt and blow down the barrel and look to see that it's clear and follow up with my shot I'm hitting each time. Usually that process takes less than 15 seconds but sometimes in hunting situations you don't have that 15 seconds to do. I was thinking maybe it's the particular powder that I'm using ? maybe another powder works better for suppressors.? I hope I'm not the only one who has come across this. Thanks

In theory, it should not happen. What brand can is it?

Here is 10 shots on a target at 1K, 10 rd mag, 6XC, top bullet splash was put on for my aiming point, dialed away from it, there are 8 shots in the cluster, one fell low left, all shot within a minute. Target size on the body is 20" high, 24" wide, giving idea of group size. Lane 30 cal suppressor.
The barrel and suppressor were pretty warm when I started, smoking hot when done.
I have never encountered your issue.
View attachment 185962
Thunderbeast ultra 9

Also to note I've taken speed readings with my Magneto speed on the shots and there's really no difference in velocity change, I may have a bit of a difference of 15 to 30 feet per second but that could all be in just the loads. This is consistent with waiting between the shots and shooting right after one another.

Hopefully I explain this correct, but has anybody seen that the point of impact changes if you do a quick follow-up shot with a suppressor before letting all the Smoke Clear out of the barrel? I've noticed that if I shoot two consecutive shots together the point of impact will change but if in between the shots I remove the bolt and blow out all the smoke my point of impact stays the same. The concern I have is out in the field when hunting and you need to make a quick follow-up shot how do you compensate for the smoke in the barrel? is there any little tool out there that people use to blow out the smoke from the previous shot? *note- If I wait about 30 seconds the Smoke Clears out by itself and the point of impact stays the same.

Smoke clears here in no time ...

On a serious note, I do have a problem with mine (Eliteiron Bravo SD).

Last edited:
Is the suppressor direct thread or on a mount? If on a mount is there a crush washer?

Never had this issue. I shoot suppressed almost exclusively now. yes the can does hold in heat and smoke and there seems to be a back pressure issue but accuracy is not a problem. In fact last week I shot a 3 shot group with and without can to check point of impact for my zero. Both group were identical with the non can group being only .25moa different from aim point.

I have a similar issue. I zeroed at 100 yards, after sending a few down the tube. So when I shoot my first shoot with a cold barrel, I am 4 plus inches high right, all other shots are dead nuts on. I talked to a gunsmith I know, he said it was the oxygen in the barrel and can burning off that throws my first shot. He recommended.... haha, you are going to love this, make sure the chamber is empty, bolt is open, take a deep breath and blow it down the barrel from the can, then load and shoot. Can you imagine doing this at a range..... I can see it now. Anyways, the theory is to get all of the oxygen out of the barrel and can before shooting. I heard someone say to use an aerosol cleaner (like for computers that just blows air). IDK... It sounds like you are having the same issue, just in reverse. Try zeroing after a few shots, then your first shot will be the only one off.

Most barrels will a shift of some kind from cold to warm to hot. If you set your zero with a warmed up barrel it will be off when its cold. That's why it is so important to have a dead nuts COLD BORE zero on your hunting rig. Even a .25 - .50 difference at a 100 stacks up at real difference. I will often confirm my cold bore zero several times to make sure it's true. Sometimes taking a rifle solely for that one shot, and course another to shoot and practice with

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.