Folding Stock Adapter Comparo

The Hera Arms unit looks just like my XLR Gen 1 FSA. I don't like it as well as the current XLR adapters.
The Gen 1 is smaller, but when folded it allows the buttstock to hit the chassis/receiver. It doesn't swing away as far.
Can you tell if the little cross pin the locking arm hooks up with is steel? Maybe post me up a pic? It's entirely possible that XLR bought or licensed that design before coming up with their own. The new one is killer and I can see where the Hera will probably have some wiggledy piggledy.

For anyone that wants to know, because the question has been asked, yes, once I'm done I'll be selling off the surplus units at a good discount (which will be based on the score the unit achieved and how much I've scuffed it up) unless I've damaged them too severely to feel good about selling it on. That won't happen until I'm completely done with the testing and evaluation so be patient. I can only get 1-2 units every week or 2 depending on their price or the wife will cut my nuts off so I have to go a little slow.

Here you go.

And if you are selling that new style XLR adapter, then I'm definitely interested.

XLR1.jpg
XLR2.jpg
XLR3.jpg

The Hera Arms came in and it's extremely nice. It doesn't come with a snugging up mechanism but 1 layer of masking tape on the flat mating surfaces brought all the wiggle to zero. Fantastic ball detent does a good hold-open job. Manufacturing quality is brilliant. Install is as easy as with the XLR unit. It's super compact too. Really liking this one.

Part 4 of my self-funded, unfiltered examination and comparison of folding stock adapters. My money spent so manufacturers can't tell me what to write. This one has a cool Star Wars tie-in.

Last edited:
A DoubleStar unit is on the way thanks to a kind soul letting me borrow his while they're backordered. I don't know why UTG doesn't own the market right now given the price point and that the thing works so well. I'm not used to people paying 5x the price just to avoid a blood blister.

One of the reasons for the high price ($250) on the law tactical fsa is that it is expressly made to handle ONE time of firing an AR while in the open position--- the steel locking tab WILL bend, making it temporarily in-operable until the locking tab can be replaced. It is all high quality solid steel-- and heavy too.

A bolt gun does not need the same "strength" as if you fire it folded, the action/bolt takes all the force so aluminum versions can be used on bolt guns

Do not attempt to use an aluminum version on an ar, as if it were to be fired while open- chances are the fsa would break/shatter and allow the bcg to possibly come out of the receiver towards the shooter.

Sylven arms also sells an aluminum "law tac" copy but it is 7075 aluminum - it specifically states "do no fire while open" though so the law tac is the only one that appears capable of the torture of firing an ar while open (one time) without taking your eye out.

It may be a quality option for a bolt gun though

Last edited:
Yep. It's also made out of steel to accommodate that feature which is going to be harder on machining tools and take longer to make generally. There is another option for fire-while-folded: Dead Foot Arms makes a really nifty setup that modifies the recoil spring setup so their unit can operate while folded just as it would while not folded. It makes the Law Tac unit seem inexpensive at over $400.

Yep. It's also made out of steel to accommodate that feature which is going to be harder on machining tools and take longer to make generally. There is another option for fire-while-folded: Dead Foot Arms makes a really nifty setup that modifies the recoil spring setup so their unit can operate while folded just as it would while not folded. It makes the Law Tac unit seem inexpensive at over $400.
Yes, I agree on the dfa adapter-- its in a whole different class-- but then again it also utilizes a proprietary bcg and buffer/spring so it can fire when folded

DoubleStar ACE folding stock adapter review is done. Sylvan Arms unit arrives Monday.

Part 6 with Sylvan Arms. Cliff's Notes: Don't use gas-gun adapters on bolt guns.

My xlr had no play at all in it upon first install. After 3-400 rounds, there's just a tiny bit. Not nearly enough to concern me. I really like it.

Nice work.. now you have me thinking about the DoubleStar Ace.
What all did you get from them?
Folding Adapter? Reciever Block? AR Adapter?