FN SPR trigger replacement

wackinandstackin243

I have an SPR and I love everything about it but the trigger. It has more take up than anything else I shoot. Is there any after market triggers without any take up? I assume any after market model 70 parts should fit an SPR. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, it will more than likely be a project for this summer. Winchester claims their MOA trigger has no take up or creep, but I haven't felt one and don't know if just the trigger can be purchased.

The MOA trigger on the newer winchesters won't work on an earlier one, they changed the receiver when they went to the new trigger. The old style M70 trigger can actually be made very good by a gunsmith that knows how to work on one. Stoning the sear and replacing the spring will make a very nice trigger. It's probably the best hunting trigger out there, it's just poorly set from the factory. Fixing one isn't a do it at home job though, stoning one needs a gunsmith.

I have several old style trigger M70's & all of them have been tuned by a gunsmith, I don't replace them with aftermarket triggers. With a Remington M700 I throw the factory trigger as far into the garbage as I can & put a Jewell on there.

Just a heads up. The Jewell trigger for the Win 70 will not fit the new FN SPR or new model 70 with MOA trigger. I found out the hard way after buying one for mine. Totally different trigger connection. The MOA trigger can be tuned but no where near a jewell. Timney does make a trigger for these I am thinking about trying.

Thanks again. I need to pick up a rifle at the gunsmith this week so I might ask him. I tried a rifle basix on a ruger and didn't like it any better than the factory trigger. Triggers with take up aren't as bad if that is the only one I shoot. As is I use my SPR and my remington quite regular and it either feels like my SPR will never break or get surprised by how early my remington breaks. I have always just tried to have all my triggers as similar as I can.

By the way, does anybody have an opinion of the new MOA triggers? I haven't been happy with my last couple of remingtons and have seriously been considering trading into winchester.

Just a heads up. The Jewell trigger for the Win 70 will not fit the new FN SPR or new model 70 with MOA trigger.

The FN SPR's are built using older new haven manufacture receivers and have the old style triggers, the jewell should fit it. The new M70's with the MOA trigger won't take the jewell, the mounting is different.

I'm 95% sure I'm right that all the FN SPR's have the old style trigger. I went the the FN website and it says "original two lever trigger system" so they appear to still use the old style trigger.

FNH USA - Distinct Advantage :: FN SPR

I would only replace an old style winchester M70 trigger if I needed it under 2 lbs, in which case I'd only use a Jewell. A gunsmith that knows how to tune a factory old style M70 trigger can make one really nice. I have several and they're all really good at 2.5 lbs.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts