Florida Buck

longrangegunner52

The season started thanksgiving and i found my self looking over one of our corn fields. I had my m700 .308 in one of our shooting and made a good shot on an 8 pointer at 290 yds i know ya'll don't consider that long range but in my part of florida that is a pretty long shot. The deer ran about 200 yds and just piled up a good 8 point considering it was one of these small florida bucks. Can't figure out how to post pics. yet but they will come. Great opening day hunt.

LRG52

LDHunter

LRG52,

Yes... That is a long shot for Florida...
shocked.gif

I'm in the Tallahassee area... Where are you?

$bob$

Dave King

Congrats on a good hunt but I'm a bit curious, was that buck "pumped up", startled or running before you shot??? 200 yards after the shot seems a long way for a deer shot at 290 yards. Where'd you hit him?? My experience is that they drop pretty quick if unaware of the hunter(s). Just want to get a little more info for future hunts.

longrangegunner52

I am from holmes county not sure if you know were that is but a little town called bonifay. The deer came running out of the woods stop for a moment that is when i shot hit him broadsided a little farther back than i would have hoped i kinda rushed the shot if fear he would start running again.

Dave King

Thanks

I figured he must have been in a little hurry before you shot him...they usually don't go so far if they're not spooked or in a rush before the shot.

longrifle

Just returned to being a full-time N. Carolinian after 35+ years in Florida myself! Took two years to give away a spot just off of the Suwannee but the new owner is a hunter too. I had groomed 36 acres of an awesome bottomland backed up by a non-hunting Water Management area, stands everywhere, foodplots, feeders, etc. Turned it into my own private hunting preserve, kinda miss it...but I've got the hardwoods and beanfields of Coastal Carolina now!
I used a 7STW on hogs at that place, especially in the cool season when you can look out through the timber a little easier.
There are alot of landowners that welcome hog hunters in North Florida, they've become one heckofa problem. I have a old neighbor there that traps'em, cleans them out with good groceries and then turns them back into groceries!
Just be careful where you hit'em! I got into one helluva footrace with an old boar(356lbs) who took a 50 sabot and still ran me around a brushpile for a couple on minutes before I could get a killing shot on him! Then I sat down and shook like a little girl!

Pick a spot...a little spot...squeeze....

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.