Flexing stock on a Savage

Coalforge

I have an older flat top Savage Model 10 tactical with a heavy barrel. In most cases, I can shoot .6 inch groups at 100 yds but sometimes the group blows wide open. The barrel is free floating but I noticed that it is quite easy to flex the stock to where it touches the barrel with just finger pressure. I am inclined to think this is what is happening to open up my groups. It is the original factory stock. Is there a fix or do I need a new stock? If a new stock is in order, what do you measure to determine action length?

Thanks

Measure the two bottom action screws. 4.275" is probably what you have. Might be 4.4" if it's newer. I would go with a new stock over factory any day.

Thanks, It is the 4.27inch. I will do some looking and see what I can find. Any recommendations on a stock? Weapon is used mostly for varmint control and range is normally under 300 yds.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.