Flatbed Trailer - Tent Platform?

I didn't read the whole thread, but if I had a SxS, I'd think long and hard about getting an enclosed trailer for it.
Make fold down bunks on the sides, a heater and a couch up front. Could use it to store the SxS when not in use.
That, or buy a small gooseneck stock combo horse trailer. Durable as all heck and has an area up front for a small sleeping quarters.
Or you could spend more coin and get a "Weekender" package and have all the amenities.
Works great till snow and freezing temps start. Then condensation causes freeing in the rear corners where there is no insulation near the cables that run the drop gate. Then melting causes a lot of floor water. Been there and sold that trailer. I designed bunks, kitchen, etc. Works great till about November.

I didn't read the whole thread, but if I had a SxS, I'd think long and hard about getting an enclosed trailer for it.
Make fold down bunks on the sides, a heater and a couch up front. Could use it to store the SxS when not in use.
That, or buy a small gooseneck stock combo horse trailer. Durable as all heck and has an area up front for a small sleeping quarters.
Or you could spend more coin and get a "Weekender" package and have all the amenities.
I recently looked at a couple GN 2 horse trailers, compared to the 2 horse BP we have it has a lot more room in the tack area and overhead. Definitely could sleep up there. Have to spray foam the entire inside though.

Works great till snow and freezing temps start. Then condensation causes freeing in the rear corners where there is no insulation near the cables that run the drop gate. Then melting causes a lot of floor water. Been there and sold that trailer. I designed bunks, kitchen, etc. Works great till about November.
I always thought that would work great. Now that you mention these issues, that is a problem. Where I live and hunt in the desert SW, it would be ok. But a late elk hunt in high country AZ, those conditions would be just as you described.

I always thought that would work great. Now that you mention these issues, that is a problem. Where I live and hunt in the desert SW, it would be ok. But a late elk hunt in high country AZ, those conditions would be just as you described.
I built that 8.5x20 trailer exactly for November weather thinking it'd be ideal. With a propane heater inside over night running on low, it condensated and froze in the corners and built up very thick ice and when the heater was turned up during daytime, it melted soaking the floor carpet and vinyl flooring where our bunks were. Very bad scenario. If you could spray foam those corners from the inside and everywhere condensation forms, it might work.

Or why not pull the trailer...with a 40' diesel pusher and quit all the fooling around!
No experience with a 40 footer, but my DP tag 45er is not very nimble through tight canyons, mountain trails; impossible to turn around, really slow to back out, even with Jeep unhitched. That said, it does make for a cozy base camp......hot shower, king bed, dishwasher, and DVD fireplace with snap-krackel-and-pop. Propane heated 10x10 pop-up tent adjacent for muddy, wet gear. Just an old geezer's personal experience. YMMV, but doubt it. Some guys take misery to an art form......

Last edited:
Thats why you need to v
I built that 8.5x20 trailer exactly for November weather thinking it'd be ideal. With a propane heater inside over night running on low, it condensated and froze in the corners and built up very thick ice and when the heater was turned up during daytime, it melted soaking the floor carpet and vinyl flooring where our bunks were. Very bad scenario. If you could spray foam those corners from the inside and everywhere condensation forms, it might work.
Did you install roof vents like on Travel Trailers and RV's. thats a must.

Thats why you need to v

Did you install roof vents like on Travel Trailers and RV's. thats a must.
I had them done by the company that built the trailer for me. I had them insulate the walls and roof, install 2 windows, RV door, 30amp generator cord, Florescent ceiling lights and exterior lights. They also removed the 2' beaver tail at the rear gate. The trailer had two roof vents with the maxx air covers over them to keep snow and rain out.

The biggest issue I ran into investigating closed in trailer was CanAm Defender Limited is prob tallest and widest SxS out there. I found one but holy cow 3-4" clearance on sides and 1-2" on top was just too tough to deal with for Sasquatch to get out of it once on trailer. My son suggested I stay in it for duration of trip. More room in truck, quieter.....🤔