Fixed power scope for LR hunting?

I love fixed power. I can highly recommend the Leupold M8 12x40, and various robust / quality 10x scopes.
I won't have an adjustable magnification scope on my rifles

I have fixed power scopes with the P3 mildot reticle on three of my primary hunting rifles.
Would recommend the S&B PMII 10x42, it's pert near bombproof and you can still shoot a deer at 50-75 yards easily.

They are mostly low price and Another element often overlooked is the loss of light through each set of lenses. A plain fixed scope only has two lenses-one at each end. A fixed power with AO adds one more. A plain variable has at least three lenses, and the fourth for the AO or paralax ring. You will lose light with each pass through a lens--no doubt about it. More $$$ is required to put extra polishing and coatings on these lenses to reduce reflected light loss. Not many people are willing to do that. Those same people wind up complaining about them most of the time. In the the end, the old parable "you get what you pay for" almost always applies with optics.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts