fixed 10 power for elk hunting

land308

Is anyone using a fixed 10 power scope on their elk hunting rifles. I am considering putting a Bushnell 3200 elite fixed 10 with target knobs or a supersniper 10 power on my 300 win mag for elk hunting. I don't have the cash to put a dependable variable power scope with target knobs. I live in Idaho and most of the time I am not shooting closer than 150 yards. I am wondering if this will be too magnified or too small a field of view. Thanks for any input.

My 300 mag has a Leupold 8.5 – 25 on it and I have shot game with this on both high and low power settings. I only use this rifle for longer shots, where I tend to have time to set up on the animal without being too rushed. On my most recent hunting trip, I took almost all my shots at around 10 power and found that worked very well. I think the only issue around field of view would be if you were shooting "fast".

Also, its worth remembering that military snipers have used fixed 10 power scopes for a long time up until recently and their needs are a lot like those of a hunter, except that ranges for them start at about 300 yards.

I have used a pair of 16x IORs for a number of years from 50-2200 yards. Ya I know you said 10x Bushnell or 10X SS but they all have about the same field of view(11-13'). The IOR(22oz) @ $810 is out of your price range but the 10X Bushnell(15.5oz) can be had for $180 from SWFA and to my eyes is better than the SS(21oz)for $299 or $399 for side focus.
I would not put one of these scopes on a coyote calling rifle but they sure should work for an elk...if you dont step on him :eek:

I have one of these scopes with another reticle on my 300WM, I sit it on a TPS 20MOA base andWarne QR low rings. I have had no problem dialing up and repeating the POI at all ranges, I have only gone to 400 yards since that is as far as my range here is but they have the target knobs, great glass and repeatability as far as I can see. Pretty cheap for the quality you get.

I ordered the Model# 6476 and got this scope #6742 by mistake and since it was a special order I am stuck with it. I want only what they are going for on Ebay, They list for $279.99 and $ 12.00 shipping. If you want this one which is new in box arange a $280 payment and it's yours shipped in the 48 states.

These are great scopes for the money, Side focus, target turrets and a sunshade and 50MOA adjustment.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/product.php?group=16&subgroup=10&product=6472

I have another with the target dot and want the same on both rifles so if no takers I will keep it.

Joe Oakes

I've been shopping for a fixed 10x for elk. No luck yet. You must realzie tho that with a fixed 10 you'll lose the close & personal shots. I call bull elk in to 45 feet. Not good for a 10x, or a straight 6x for that matter.

I would not go with a straight 10x if I could help it. Last year my brother and I were all set for a long range elk hunt. Planned on setting up above tree line and shooting into the oposite mountainside where the timber starts. Well with over 16 inches of snow on the tops we had to go down to 10,800. Thats where the animals were. Luckily I had brought along 2 light guns with 3x9 scopes. John shot his bull at 25 yards in a steep boulder slide surrounded by timber, and I gave him one round to keep him there. A cow was killed on the move at about 125 yards. 10x would have made that situation difficult.

A Weaver Grand Slam in 3x9 can be had pretty reasonably. It dosen't have tall target turrets, but the small turrets it does have can be slipped back to
-0- after sight in. A conquest 3-9 has better glass and can also be reset, but the turret isn't numbered, you would have to count clicks.

If you don't plan on changing hunting conditions as in my case 10x should be fine for anything from 150-1000

Last edited:
Thank you all for the information and opinions. I am still debating. With my luck I will end up with a 60 yard running shot. Last year my bull was at 336 yrds and I had all the time in the world. The year before I had a running shot at around 120 yrds and shot the bull about 5 seconds before he would have went over a sadle. I have a leupold 4-12 vx1 that I may just put on there to get me by this season. hopefully next year I will have the cash to get some better glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.