First yote with the 270

remingtonman_25_06

My dad, and his friend, and I all decided to go yote hunting this morning. We were calling in a known place where there were sure to be yotes. We called for a couple hours and did not hear or see anything. My dads friend finally spotted a dog about a mile away near a fence line. He was trotting towards us. We planed a sneak attack since he was not coming into the call. All he did was stop and look right at us. It was a staredown for about 20 minutes, then the yote just layed down. Bonus! We executed the perfect spot and stalk, which was my idea to where we were going. We got right on top of that dog. THe shot was 225 yards, but he was now up and trottign away. From my position and my dads, we were unable to see him. My dads friend shot first and though he had hit it, but the dog took off running doing mach 10. Funny thing is, he did not know where the shot came from and ran to the left of us and stopped behind a hill. By that time, all 3 of us were up and kneeling. I could see the yote coming right for us. He made his last mistake by loping over to the hill that was 100 yards in front of us. I was using my 270 with my 150g gamekings at 2920fps. When the dog finaly stoped, stuned at our presence, I quickly raised my rifle, settled the croshairs of my leupold right on teh front of his chest and touched off the 2# trigger. Hair flew. "[censored]" was the response of my dad and his friend. Ha ha, they just weren't quick enough. Apon arrival, jesus lord that 150g tore that poor yote up. The bullet entered the brisket, since it was facing right at us, and exited out his back leaving at least a 6" exit hole. It was the only yote we saw that day, but at least we got him!!! Thats my dads friend in the pic with me.

sou9vq.jpg

soua9l.jpg

Next time, please use enough gun!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am curious, just looking at his paws, was he walking like an Egyptian when you squeezed the trigger?

Obviously a pelt hunter!!!!

Ha Ha Ha, I bet that sucker didnt know what hit him!!

I caught a bobcat one time with my old 270 win with a 130gr ballistic tip. Hit him at the base of the neck just above the shoulder. His head popped off, more like liquifed in mid-air, and he just sat down on his butt. After that he proceded to act out a horror movie sequence and gave me a dance I wont ever forget, the distance was 15yds.

The old 270 packs a lot of punch. Wish I had pics of the yote i thumped with my 270AM, looked a lot like yours

good job
steve

I Shot a smallish coyote a few months ago.
Hit him at less than 50 yards.
No bones left in his body. Skull & leg bones only.
Was pig hunting with a 300wm & 180 partitions.

DK

[ QUOTE ]
Next time, please use enough gun!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am curious, just looking at his paws, was he walking like an Egyptian when you squeezed the trigger?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, nomosendero, I needed a good belly laugh this morning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good job, Rem!

remington 25-06,

Good job on the coyote.
I have that same gun in 25-06 old bdl's still look good to me.
I shot a coyote in a hayfield at 40yds w/the 25-06 and 87gr tnt bullet.It was a yoy pup weighed about 16-18 lbs < before the shot that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
Good one Nomosendero! MIke

Ha ha ha, next time I might have to use my 300 RUM! Thanks for the comments guys. I enjoyed reading them. This coyote ranks pretty high up there for exits. I was amazed at the expansion of that 150g gameking, but bullet construction says it all. In my experience gamekings tend to be a bit on the explosive side, just like btips and the such.

For sub 200 yard yotes .277 100 gr SP in front of 59 grains of IMR 4350 will tear a dog up. I just bought 115 grain HPBT to test this month on P-dogs.

maybe if I'm lucky I'll find a yote in scavaging P-dog scraps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.