first varmint gun 17 22 223

Nickwild

thinking of getting a dedicated varmint rifle pretty soon here to hunt and plink with. I already have 2 22 lr's but am deciding between getting a 17HMR 22WMR or a 223 rem. anything is welcome

17 hmr and 22 wmr are just personal preference, one is a little flatter the other hits harder with a tad more weight. But honestly neither do great in the wind past about 125. I've used the 17 hmr since I was old enough to buy a rifle and a 22 wmr even longer. I've several of either and predominantly use my 22 mag to 85-100 yards up through fox's, and my 17hmr gets use after burrowing varmints as far as I can make hits... usually about 2 -225 yards on Belding squirrels or the like. But honestly on a breezy day it's limited to Maybe 150 yards. Those little pills really move around in the wind. My favorite mild report varmint gun is my 17 Hornet but it's very niche and not volume practical right now. But it's the noise limit un supressed in and around farm houses.

223 is next step up, it's capacity is very well documented and debated. It's really like comparing a Tacoma to a f 350, just different class cartridges. If I were not around farm houses ever, I'd likely shoot 223 at everything.

223 would be my vote of those 3. With a "faster than varmint twist" like 1-9 or so you could shoot yo to about 75 gr bullets yet still shoot the 50 or 55 grains. More versatile yet very cost effective to shoot/reload.
One other possibility would be 204 Ruger or similar. Bullets are very expensive for them, IMO.

Of the 3 listed 223 for me.Have an 8 twist 223 for backup coyote rifle and practice gun.22-250 is my go to anymore,have killed some coyotes with 223 just more runners than I like but not many lost

If it was me, it would be .223. If you don't reload, you can buy factory for about .17 HMR cost. If you do reload,it's the only one of tha three you mentioned that's reloadable. Not to mention the extended range and horsepower.

.223 Rem - if varmints include coyote and/or fox, and you desire high probability hits with good lethality past ~100yds. Extends your still doable range out to ~250yds. Maybe 300yds as you get familiar with it.

Still, the .22WMR with jacketed hollow points is significantly more lethal on varmints than the .22lr, where ranges are limited to ~100yds.

thinking of getting a dedicated varmint rifle pretty soon here to hunt and plink with. I already have 2 22 lr's but am deciding between getting a 17HMR 22WMR or a 223 rem. anything is welcome
17 WSM is your guy, a solid 150 yard varmint getter, you can stretch it out some if you can shoot decent. 17 hornet is king out to 250 yards ,gh's coyotes, about as loud as a 22 magnum. I would steer clear of 17 hmr,while very accurate a weak round.

While I agree with both your assertions, unless already stocked up on 17 wsm there hasn't been a run of ammo in over a year now. Some 17 hornet snuck out in the last 2 weeks but it was limited, regional and expensive. Love both my guns in those cartridges but the availability of the op's 3 choices have been significantly better over the last 15 years of market chaos.

Well my 2cents worth is if your limited in distance and acres the 22 mag will do all you need. Its cheap to operate and I use the Winchester black box hp ammo. 200# Hogs in the head, coyotes in the body etc out to 125 yards.

Should you like to go esoteric and have handloading experience or want to acquire handloading experience and spend an extra $450 - $500 consider the .20P AKA .20 Practical.

Uses .223 brass - cheap & abundant
Uses Redding .223 F/L bushing dies with .226 size bushing - easily purchased non wildcat cartridge item
Outperforms any rimfire - like 300 yards plus
Less recoil and higher velocities than .223 with comparable BC light weight bullets - flatter trajectories, better in wind, easier to spot hits.

OR

Get a common ordinary 12 twist .223 - the Hornady 53 VMax at 3250-3300 fps is a real good performer and will easily outperform any rimfire - My .17 HMR drops about 6 inches at 200. with a 100 yard zero.

esoteric ok I can. We do reload here both myself and my wife loaded her own. Looks like your in big country. In hunting coyotes in New Mexico on the res I started out with my 22-250. Its a Ruger with and Italian barrel and has won lots of contests for me. It was to small for big country. Shot one coyote in the head at 500 yards and got him but I think thats a limit on distance with it. Thats using 55gr nosler ballistic tips weighed and sorted, running hot, match primers, necks turned and brass squared on both ends.. SO I bought a Remington 6mm varmint with beaver tail stock just to hunt the Mescalero contest with and when it came in I shipped it straight to Speedy Gonzales (bench rest guy) up Dallas way and they reamed it to 6 Ackley Improved getting 10% more powder. That is a reach out there rig. 87gr Hornady BTHP 3302fps. I am way not up to max either. On that .223 you might try the 52gr match Hornaday bullets.