First true long range rig

NTXbighorn93

Looking to get my first dedicated long range rifle setup and I'm looking for some input on which rifle to get this I've got 3 in mind but am open to suggestions! I own both remington and savage rifles already so I'm familiar with both. Would like to stay with .308 but not set in stone on caliber. Also looking for optics suggestions!

1. Remington 700p with the 26" barrel seems to be a really solid platform and I'm already familiar with the 700 action plus tons of aftermarket support for this one

2. Remington 5r I held one at the gun shop earlier and really liked the stock it fit me well and I like that it is stainless. But finding one in .308 24" barrel is difficult

3. Savage model 11 long range hunter I've yet to hold this rifle in my hands but I like the adjustable cheek rest and have read good things about the rifle but would like some first hand input if anyone has some!
I'm Open to other suggestions to!

I Think all the choices above are outstanding. I personally have been extremely impressed with the tikkas I have, so much so that I bought a t3 tactical in 308 which I absolutely love. I found it for a great price... Just under a thousand and it hasn't disappointed me in accuracy, feel, and I just plain love everything about it. Were I to do it again... And if couldn't find a tactical at a reasonable price... I would definitely buy the tikka ctr. Ive read its accurate as all get out and nice amenities as well for an out of the box rifle. There's one at gunbroker for 899, and eurooptic has them for 949. It's a lot of rifle for the price.

Good luck. Oh... And a Remington Sendero in 308 would be a **** nice shooter too. Welcome to lrh. Nice to have you aboard.

I have shot a t3 a while back but felt the stock felt akward to me, that being said I haven't held the tactical so I can't comment on it yet.

Whoops forgot to say deer, pigs, exotics and targets

I do like the sendero but finding a 308 24" barrel at a good price is going to be a challenge

I have shot a t3 a while back but felt the stock felt akward to me, that being said I haven't held the tactical so I can't comment on it yet.

Whoops forgot to say deer, pigs, exotics and targets

I do like the sendero but finding a 308 24" barrel at a good price is going to be a challenge
If you're shooting at critters over 300lbs and you want to stick to a 30 cal I'd suggest the 300wm.

Both will get the job done up close but when you push out beyond 600yds the extra velocity and energy really makes a big difference.

If you're sticking to deer sized game and smaller, then either of the 308's you're looking at will get the job done.

Doubt that I will be shooting anything 300 or larger to often so I will probably stick with 308 just for ammo availability and cost. But the 300wm would be a nice addition to the collection.

Anyone have experience with the savage 10fcp hs precision?

any of the rem 700 heavy barrels with a 24 or 26 inch barrel. vs, vssf,ps, pss, vls,5-r

Doubt that I will be shooting anything 300 or larger to often so I will probably stick with 308 just for ammo availability and cost. But the 300wm would be a nice addition to the collection.

Anyone have experience with the savage 10fcp hs precision?

Yes I have one and I really like it , Very reliable accurate gun , crafted a load and go shoot it , Plenty of gun for elk too.
one of my favorite go to guns .

That's what I like to hear! Do you like the accutrigger for the long term or would you like to change it?

Also KPB i have heard the savage really likes the 168 VLD's

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts