Custom Long range rig

IceSniper

Hey guys, I'm new here and want to know it you help me with a few decisions (Since you all sound like a knowledgable lot
wink.gif
)

Since i first started shooting i've wanted one thing, a good accurate rifle that i could shoot out to 800m+ with. Now i am working for a resonable wage i want to make a custom rifle which will turn in atleast .5 MoA @ 100y, I can buy a second hand winchester 670 in very good condition (Which is basicly a Winchester 70 post '64 from what i understand) for $450-500. I wanted to know what you guys think is a good tactical style stock, that would accept the win 670 action, I was thinking H-S Precision, but i'm open for any other suggestions.

-Ice

Also, What is you opinion on barrels, ATM i'm torn between M.A.B and H-S, Anyone had experiances with these barrels?

Thanks
smile.gif

Ice Sniper

Would not spend $450 on a 670 Win action or gun. You can buy a good used Sendoro or Win stealth in 308 for $500 normally and with little load work will give you 1/2 MOA routinely. Bedding, lap lugs, trigger etc. Great accuracy and cheap to shoot.

As for barrels, Hart, Lilja, Spencer, Rock are known accuracy barrels and cheaper than HS.

BH

Ice,

See if you can find a used remington 700 or 721, savage action, or better yet scrap a gun you dont use very often, send it to pac-nor, have them fit a 30" 1/8 twist in 260remington or a 6.5/284, 1.25 tapering to .90 and get a stock from richards microfit, do the bedding your self, you'll have about 700-1000 in the gun but it will be a shooter.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.