Building a long range rig

I tell what Dooner, the 270WSM has really opened my eyes to possibilities. It seems to be a magic round. It's really been a nightmare for game animals. If you want something different, that would be the route to go.

Thanks Fennix. Those bullets look impressive with BCs from .73-.78! With that information, I'm getting closer to choosing the 270WSM. I was talking with a smith last night, and he said it was no problem to change the Savage 7mmRM to a 270WSM. What do you guys think?

You're quite welcome. Please note that those BCs are static.

The .270 WSM is an awesome caliber/round.

If I were you, I'd stay with the 7MM Mag and muzzle brake on until it is ready for a re-barrel. You can get a very effective muzzle brake installed for under $250.

IIRC, Berger is also coming up with 195gr VLD in .284.

Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:
Thanks Fennix. Those bullets look impressive with BCs from .73-.78! With that information, I'm getting closer to choosing the 270WSM. I was talking with a smith last night, and he said it was no problem to change the Savage 7mmRM to a 270WSM. What do you guys think?

Your smith is correct. The 7mmRM and the 270wsm have the same head size, subsequently, the bolt face needed for both is the same. If you wanted to from 7mmRM to 30-06, you would have to alter the bolt face because the case head on the 30-06 is smaller than the 7mmRM.

"If I were you, I'd stay with the 7MM Mag and muzzle brake on until it is ready for a re-barrel. You can get a very effective muzzle brake installed for under $250."
Feenix- If this rifle was configured as a long range hunter, that's exactly what I'd do. However, it's a light weight, short barreled mountain rifle. I plan on continuing my elk & deer hunting with a bow. This gun will be for target & those predators that are hard to get close to:)

Feenix- If this rifle was configured as a long range hunter, that's exactly what I'd do. However, it's a light weight, short barreled mountain rifle. I plan on continuing my elk & deer hunting with a bow. This gun will be for target & those predators that are hard to get close to:)

Copy that, good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.