First time shooting at 1k

Exactly!!!! you don't need to spend $$$$$$$$$ to play the long range game. Even in competition you don't have to spend thousands.

Nope, but you better have super consistent brass and bullets...hornady would not be my first choice in long range shooting. For 10-12$ more per 100 Ill take my berger 105 hybrids over the 105 amax. Ive weighed both and the bergers are head and shoulders better in BC, weight and concentricity. JMHO

If you can afford em good on ya. I can't. However I can tell you this. I weighed their 190 match,190 grain hunting their 225 grain 338's and their 250 grain 338's and have found them to be very very accurate and consistent. However I don't shoot much that isn't 30 cal or bigger with the exception of my M-4 in 5.56 NATO and it shoots MOA just fine for shootin targets. You may be right about their lighter bullets I just have never had reason to weigh em cause I don't use em.

As a matter of fact Hornadys 285 grain long range match 338 bullet has a GREAT BC .700 I will weigh them next week when I get time and keep you posted on em. Unless they dont meet my standards and I do have high standards when it comes to match bullets I intend to use em next year in the national match 1000 meter competition and to break the range record I need to be shooting 1/4 MOA to do that.

Apache Sniper

I shot my 300 short mag at 1000 yards for the first time last summer, and to say it was an exhilarating experience would be an understatement. To watch several bullets fly true that would have killed any of the animals I hunt was too cool. I did learn that day how important form is.

Good shooting everyone.

Long range, IE 600 to 3000 yards is the absolute pinnacle of a rifleman. How many men do you personally know that can hit a man sized target at 1000, 1500, 2000 3000 yards? If you load your own, shoot your own and achieve MOA at those ranges or less than MOA Then you are in the 1% of all riflemen. Thats what I strive for. Good Shooting and God Bless

Apache sniper

So, we're spending all this time and money so we can hit a man (oh yeah "sized target", right). Serve you right if it turned out to be a friend cause you could not possibly identify them at that distance.
I do shoot at man shaped targets. 4-10 yards with a hand gun where i could certainly identify the threat.
Long Range Hunting Magazine, not man killing back shooting crap. There are other sites for that.
Course Len can ban me for being impolite. I apologise to Len.

John

PS I can certainly elaborate on this subject philosophically but it prolly wouldn't matter

J

wow, nobody mentioned shooting a man at any range. Physically there isn't much difference in size between a 'man-sized target' and a 'deer sized target', one is portrait and one is landscape.

Not sure which button we pushed, no offense was intended. Some of us 'grew up' shooting at 'man-sized targets', under safety systems which make every civilian range I've shot on look down right chaotic. We continue to refer to a rifle as a weapon because that is the terminology we learned.

I'll apologize in advance for the next time I slip up and revert to using the terminology I learned in Basic Marksmanship training, I hope you'll forgive me.

Feel free to not pay any attention to my posts if it makes you feel better.

Give me one reason why I should dignify that little tirade. Yes Man sized targets are what snipers shoot at little boy they are the best long range shooters we have. Forgive the hell outa me I guess your witto feelers are made of glass and you are looking for a reason to bitch and fight. Grow UP

Sorry tater, I guess I didn't know there were liberal whiners here must remember that lets see here guns are ONLY made to shoot paper right? gotcha. member that little one

Yes I will reply via PM's Tater

I guess that means that all snipers are murderers in his /it's opinion. I have never served with more dedicated men in my life. It's also obvious he doesn't even know what he is talking about due to the fact we can count a mans teeth at 3000 yards thats 19 70's technology. Aw well...... facts never get in the way where liberals and super sensitive children are involved

I am also forced to wonder what this individual thinks of Military personnel who have actually killed folks in the line of duty? He admits he shoots at man targets with his pistol....... thats pretty incongruous considering what he said. Could it be small rifle envy?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts