first time lapping rings

As I recall I got the two exposed screws started and then clamped the bedding bar into both rings and let the weight of the bar settle the mounts onto the action because I couldn't tighten the screws as planned.

I used paste wax on the action. If had been a better light weight option that I was aware of I probably wouldn't have used them either.

I am a big fan of the Burris Signature Ringswith P o s-Align® Inserts. (Come in sizes to fit 1", 30mm, & 34mm scopes.)

They don't mar the scope. They compensate for misalignment in the base or rings. They grip (hold) the scope very securely. Bonus points for not costing a fortune either. No lapping nor bedding is nice, too. These don't get the love they deserve on here, but they are a great choice.

I am after low stress mounting that leaves no mark on the scope. My limited experience leads me to use fine compound in the bottoms until I see what I'm looking for and then light screw tension with the uppers for a few swipes to indicate they are good and then more if they aren't but it has never taken much for the tops in my experience. I follow with some polishing compound to knock down the highest roughness from the grit. It also serves as a last indicator that the ring is shaped as and aligned as it should be. I clean between each step. My method has never caused a problem I know of and any scope I have removed after this process is void of scars from ring contact.

This is what a lapping job looks like for Talley lightweight scope mounts. Only the bottom was lapped. It only takes a few thousandths off but ensures perfect alignment and good surface contact between scope and rings.
52EF59C9-C3D6-41EA-B2B3-13A48DEB6372.jpeg

On my Sauer, when i did this it looked the exact same. didn't take much of anything off the middle bottom of the rings facing each other. I have since switched to an ERA TAC 1913 rail and spurh rings.
Capture.PNG

Recent Posts