First time and Barrel contours for 243ai

Driller54

Got a build going in 243ai. Needing some barrel contour advice. I've had a couple of senderos and am not all interested in toting a sendero barrel of any sorts across the hills. Would like to be somewhere in the rem vls category..but when I'm going through all these barrel sites it's never that easy. Any advice from the experienced??

Have you considered a carbon fiber barrel? You could get the same sendoro contour with out the weight. Is this mostly a hunting rifle? If so and don't want carbon try a #5 and flute it should be able to thread that 5/8 if needed. Also how long are you going to have the barrel cut to?

What exactly is the question?

I like to match my contour by weight to the stock/overall rifle weight to achieve optimal balance. It's all about how heavy of a total rifle I want and then having the parts balance where I want it to.

what's the rest of the rifle look like? Where do you like your rifle to balance?

Have you considered a carbon fiber barrel? You could get the same sendoro contour with out the weight. Is this mostly a hunting rifle? If so and don't want carbon try a #5 and flute it should be able to thread that 5/8 if needed. Also how long are you going to have the barrel cut to?
Not on the carbon thing just yet

What exactly is the question?

I like to match my contour by weight to the stock/overall rifle weight to achieve optimal balance. It's all about how heavy of a total rifle I want and then having the parts balance where I want it to.

what's the rest of the rifle look like? Where do you like your rifle to balance?
Question is how does anyone know what they're looking at when the drop down for the contours drops down..what's what...I wanna be somewhere around the rem vls contour

If you want a little heft, #5 contour is a great compromise, but a #4 contour will get the job done in spades, I would not flute, opt for a smaller contour.

Note: 105g Berger VLD hunting is one heck of a deer bullet with about .090 FB. Be sure you can still use your magazine at a COAL to touch the lands. If it is a Remington, have a Wyatt's mag box installed where you will have an additional .125 in length.

I have some incredible shooting #4 and #5 contours in cartridges as big as 7 Mag.

Last edited:
If you want a little heft, #5 contour is a great compromise, but a #4 contour will get the job done in spades.

Note: 105g Berger VLD hunting is one heck of a deer bullet with about .090 FB. Be sure you can still use your magazine at a COAL to touch the lands. If it is a Remington, have a Wyatt's mag box installed where you will have an additional .125 in length.

I have some incredible shooting #5 contours in cartridges as big as 7 Mag.
What about dbm feed?

I do not run Detachables due to the limits on OAL. No use in hamstringing yourself right out of the gate!?

I do not run Detachables due to the limits on OAL. No use in hamstringing yourself right out of the gate!?
Alright I'll bite...so no dbm's and a #4 is gettin the job done all day...got any pics you'd be willing to show of your #4?

I had a 243AI barrel for hunting that was .710 ish at the muzzle. I could put a 10rnd string through it and no POI shift. It was called a heavy sporter contour from NSS. You could even get away with a light varmint from NSS. Not that you would get an NSS, just a frame of reference. I know the contour guessing game! LOL

Oh… well you look at various blank makers contour dimensions and find the one that matches the closest to the contour you're wanting. I believe the rem vld is a varmint contour right?