First tikka build

Plenty of people buy one component at a time, sometimes over years…before it's completed. When you are patient and not in a hurry there are better deals to be found.
Some parts will work for different guns. A 700 stock works for a number of custom actions along with triggers. So if you have a factory 700 and up garage trigger and stock they can usually be changed over to a custom. If barrel channel works for both guns. This allows for the one piece at a time while getting some immediate use out of them. If going this direction I would suggest starting with the scope. It will be the most versatile

You do it like I'm doing it and Jonny Cash it.....One peice at a time. I could have 5k to throw at a rifle but I'm not going to do it. I like making my own stuff also.

I mean put back $50 a week and you got $2600. I totally get that in this economy that's easier said than done also.
This is true. There is a few folks out there stating that they spent $$$ on a build but how long it took them to get there is another thing. I just hate having to be patient for everything haha I don't wanna be patient for an awesome rifle I want it now!

With everything that has been said I didnt see any insight on where to buy just a good tikka action. Is it best to just watch the used guns section or is there someone somewhere that has some laying around just waiting to be used up?

With everything that has been said I didnt see any insight on where to buy just a good tikka action. Is it best to just watch the used guns section or is there someone somewhere that has some laying around just waiting to be used up?
If a Tikka is what you want then yes watch used guns and pawn shops. You will be more likely to find a custom action for sale on this site more than a Tikka.

I found my action on this forum but you can find them here also.

I think I'd much rather have a custom action but probably need to start with something a little less expensive, if I can find a Tikka I will probably go that route as they are mentioned quite a bit in these forums. Thanks for a place to start!

I think I'd much rather have a custom action but probably need to start with something a little less expensive, if I can find a Tikka I will probably go that route as they are mentioned quite a bit in these forums. Thanks for a place to start!
Pacific tool and gage is running a sale on their rem700 and stiller actions.

I mean if you want to spend the money on a defiance or origin action it's money well spent. I can almost buy 2 tikka actions for the cost of one defiance action.

Pacific tool and gage is running a sale on their rem700 and stiller actions.

I mean if you want to spend the money on a defiance or origin action it's money well spent. I can almost buy 2 tikka actions for the cost of one defiance action.
Out of the rem700 and the stiller which would do? The stiller seems to be decently priced when it's on sale. Or maybe another question is would the the stiller be better than a tikka action. Completely new to what is quality and what to stay away from

I was referring to 20-22" barrels as being "short". And you are right that a .730" muzzle is going to take a light Palma or similar contour. The first 3 bullets dont really know what contour they are being fired from anyhow. I also don't see a huge advantage in CFW barrels vs a fluted SS barrel. They might be a little lighter but not by a whole lot. Now if a CFW barrel with an .830" muzzle weighed half what a fluted SS barrel did with the same contour....... I'd buy nothing but CFW. But I think you really only get a 20-30% weight reduction for 2x the price.

For some folks that's money well spent and in certain applications that 20-30% weight reduction is huge.

I hunt out of a stand 80% of the time BUT I'd like to be more comfortable if I do decide to do more walking especially during the rut. If I can get this rifle in at 10# fully dressed I'd be happy.
Preferred barrels will do a rem Varmint contour with spiral flutes that will put you at 3.5 lbs with a 26" barrel.
A 24" Benchmark #5 deep fluted will come in a couple ounces over a Proof sendero cf

Out of the rem700 and the stiller which would do? The stiller seems to be decently priced when it's on sale. Or maybe another question is would the the stiller be better than a tikka action. Completely new to what is quality and what to stay away from
Rem700 vs Stiller...... Stiller wins. Stiller actions are built like a tank! I believe some of the military marksmanship units still use them. There is nothing wrong with a rem700 action once it's been trued up and blue printed. Plus everything these days seems to be a rem700 footprint.

That being said... tikka actions hold such a tight tolerance from the factory that you can get shouldered prefits for them. And the bolt slides like greased lighting. Their factory triggers are some of the best around as far as factory triggers go.