First tikka build

DUCKMAN11

I'm looking for yalls opinions on components for my first tikka build.

I currently have a T3x magnum bolt face "long" action.......thats it.

I've also decided on 6.5mm projectiles and have the cartridge mostly narrowed down to 6.5max or 6.5 mega. My goal is to have a 26" deer rifle that weighs about 10lbs ready to hunt.

I'm looking for recommendations on stocks, bottom metal, rings, bases etc

What mags are you tikka guys running to get the most internal magazine length? Who makes a great stock with a vertical grip that I don't have to wait till after the next election to get? Should I go with a CFW barrel to save weight or #2-#3 contour all steel with flutes?

Just looking for options and opinions and hopefully some first hand experience from the folks who have built off a tikka action.

Thanks in advance

@REDVANES has manners stocks posted on here often, that who I bought mine from.

I had a rifle built by unknown munitions, and I know they are doing a lot of builds now on tikka actions. But Blaine told me that the #5 Bartlien barrels after fluting were equivalent or weighed a little less than a CFW barrel. My 338 edge had a 27" #5 that was diamond fluted and was fairly light.

As far as bottom metal, I have 3 different bottom metals, one Atlas worx, which I liked best because my KRG trigger worked with it and it took AICS mags. But I couldn't get the rifle to seat a round out of the mag, it was like a 16th to low and would just graze the top of the bullet. Now I have an aluminum BM from JA outdoors that accepts factory mags, but won't fit my KRG trigger.

Photoed from LRHF.
These will finish 1" less than blank length I assume.? IMG_7173.jpegIMG_0031.png

Last edited:
Tikka T3x 300 WM action.
Proof 22 inch carbon shouldered prefit In 7 PRC
Pure Precision (Mesa) altitude stock and bottom metal.
Lumey bolt shroud, bolt stop, and trigger spring.
Area 419 pic rail.
Beretta aluminum bottom metal(MTN Tactical?).
NF rings(M)
NF NX8 2.5-20x50

May put together a 6.5 PRC and only differences will be a 24 inch fluted barrel and NXS scope possibly. All the parts I got for the 7PRC came super fast. Had planned on using the rifle for spring bear and everything came within two weeks so I shot a few deers with it🙃

Attachments

• 200156B5-51BB-436D-85D4-692B2D03CF45.jpeg
    200156B5-51BB-436D-85D4-692B2D03CF45.jpeg
    350 KB · Views: 174
  • 80232715-45DD-4EC1-8B16-31D3A4102BE1.jpeg
    80232715-45DD-4EC1-8B16-31D3A4102BE1.jpeg
    744.4 KB · Views: 165
Tikka T3x 300 WM action.
Proof 22 inch carbon shouldered prefit In 7 PRC
Pure Precision (Mesa) altitude stock and bottom metal.
Lumey bolt shroud, bolt stop, and trigger spring.
Area 419 pic rail.
Beretta aluminum bottom metal(MTN Tactical?).
NF rings(M)
NF NX8 2.5-20x50

May put together a 6.5 PRC and only differences will be a 24 inch fluted barrel and NXS scope possibly. All the parts I got for the 7PRC came super fast. Had planned on using the rifle for spring bear and everything came within two weeks so I shot a few deers with it🙃
I really like how your rifle looks. Im looking to build something very similar just with a 26" barrel.

Does proof chamber their prefits? Or is it just shouldered to the dia of the tikka actions?

The lightest CF barrel I have found is Carbon 6 featherweight. I have a few. Lightest is a 20" 7mm tikka @ 38oz.

For reference a fluted sporter profile (superlite) is about 2.4lbs. The D18 tikka flutted profile (close to a benchmark #3/4 ~.75" muzzle) is 3lbs. Both these are 24". If you cut them to 20" to compare apples to apples I'd guess the D18 would be close to 2.75lbs or so and the superlite is close to 2lbs.

My next barrel will be steel. A bit over CF. It costs more but doesn't weigh any less than sporter profiles.

The lightest CF barrel I have found is Carbon 6 featherweight. I have a few. Lightest is a 20" 7mm tikka @ 38oz.

For reference a fluted sporter profile (superlite) is about 2.4lbs. The D18 tikka flutted profile (close to a benchmark #3/4 ~.75" muzzle) is 3lbs. Both these are 24". If you cut them to 20" to compare apples to apples I'd guess the D18 would be close to 2.75lbs or so and the superlite is close to 2lbs.

My next barrel will be steel. A bit over CF. It costs more but doesn't weigh any less than sporter profiles.
I'm kinda leaning towards a bartlein in 3b or 4 contour with spiral flutes and let the needle on the scale land where it lands. 26" is a hard number however.