First tikka build

Amen Brother K.
Ive done my part concerning sorting out some QC issues from various big name manufacturers
You aint lying Phil!! They ought to cut you a QA/QC inspector paycheck!

But you are definitely overdue for a barrel that will digest trash like a raccoon and spit out pure angel dreams and unicorn laughter at mach Jesus into little groups down range!

Am I the only one that reads these threads and thinks... Do none of these people have electric or water bills to pay. I mean every other thread is about some $3k rifle build while they casually mention about 10 other $3k rifle builds. Am I the only chump hunting with factory rifles? And yes I am looking to build a custom rifle. Like once in a lifetime dream rifle... It's why I troll here. But in the meantime... Maybe not specific to just this thread but when I read all the comments... Who knew so many people built custom rifles, like once a year? Maybe I'm just Jealous that I don't have as much time to spend on just guns and shooting. (just a minor rant, not intended at anyone, more of self-awareness type post)
I was where you ate a year ago. All my rifles were factory production. Really wanted a custom or semi-custom.
Then I got bit by FT/R bug. Came away with a real bad infection. Driven to shoot competitive @1000 yards. Tried to do it on the cheap: Savage VLP in .308 Win., Athlon 34mm scope w/Middle of road rail & Leupold rings. Planned on Sierra MKs & Hornady match brass. Good to go?

First trip to range - 3rd shot, blew primer. Never experienced that. Fluke? Try again, different factory ammo. 3rd round chambered with resistance and brew primer. Enough of this.
At home borescope showed a copper smear all around the start of chamber lead. Bore swab from muzzle pushed out perfect circle of gilding metal. Obviously scraped off bullet by the burr at beginning of lead. This will never work. Returned it to Savage.
Now what? Screw this cheap stuff.

Kelbly action on sale at Bug Holes.com
Bartlien 29" .30 heavy Palma barrel in stock at Altus.
Shooting partner gifted me his used XIT stock.
TT Diamond trigger from Bug Holes.
Seekins Precision rings were easy to come by (and cheaper than the Vortex version).
The biggest single expense was the Nightforce Competition 15-55x scope.
Discovered 5x5 Precision in Howell MI. Within 4 weeks the barrel was chambered (with buddy's f class reamer) & crowned.
Screwed every thing together.
Lapua SRP .308 brass was not available. Alpha SRP brass will do. (Bought a bunch of those)
Berger was happy to provide 1000 200.20X Hybrids.
oh boy well will i stop bleeding cash?
Score High sled (rifle is now a single shot).
Now I am puckered. Build 25 rounds, mid range dose of Varget, CCI SR mag primer, Berger185 Grain Hybrid, new Alpha brass.

Now i can go back to range. 8 rounds to get scope zeroed. Then 3 - 3 shot groups sub 1/4". I smile now. I am glad I gave up on Savage.
By the way, I received a new rifle from Savage about the time I made my first range trip with what I call "my big rifle". So I have a NIB Savage VLP .308 win for sale.
I should add I am 72 years young and enjoy jumping down rabbit holes. You can build a semi custom. Do your homework and save your quarters.

Out of the rem700 and the stiller which would do? The stiller seems to be decently priced when it's on sale. Or maybe another question is would the the stiller be better than a tikka action. Completely new to what is quality and what to stay away from
If you want a cheaper rem700 footprint, I don't think you can find a better one than mac brothers.

I think I'd much rather have a custom action but probably need to start with something a little less expensive, if I can find a Tikka I will probably go that route as they are mentioned quite a bit in these forums. Thanks for a place to start!
Check out puckerfactor, defiance classic action at the same price as those tikkas.

I don't need another temptation GR!
That nice guy at PFR has me taking from the kids already. 🤣🤣🤣
In all sincerity it's a great place and guy to do bidness with.

Personally, I would. The aftermarket options are better. More options for stocks, triggers, and bottom metal. I have both.
That's what I needed to know. I had now idea there was so much to choose and look at when I wanted to start this. Sorry to whoevers thread this was I kind a took it a different direction. I plan on putting this on a Christensen arms mpr chassis or a hunt26 chassis if I can find one for a decent price.
Options:
1.Defiance classic
2. Stiller ????
3. Mac Brothers ??
4. Zermatt Origin
5. ARC Coup De Grâce Bolt
Any other I need to look into or disregard

That's what I needed to know. I had now idea there was so much to choose and look at when I wanted to start this. Sorry to whoevers thread this was I kind a took it a different direction. I plan on putting this on a Christensen arms mpr chassis or a hunt26 chassis if I can find one for a decent price.
Options:
1.Defiance classic
2. Stiller ????
3. Mac Brothers ??
4. Zermatt Origin
5. ARC Coup De Grâce Bolt
Any other I need to look into or disregard
It WAS my tread lol. I don't mind members asking questions on top of my questions BUT you would honestly be better served by starting your own thread AND using the search function.

Not trying to be a D### at all.