First Rig

jbubb

Got a win mod 70 in 3oo wsm. This will be my first long range rig. It has a synthetic camo stock and about 8lbs trigger. I'm planning on getting a Richards Microfit laminated stock in the thumbhole target style. I want to have the trigger lightend, and the action bedded in the new stock. My question is, if I get the stock inletted for a heaver barrle Can I just shot the stock Barrle now and switch out later? When I get the money I will be going to a bull barrle about 26". Don't plan on going over 1k. Any thoughts would help. I can't wait to shot this thing long range, I have been saving milk jugs for about a month!
grin.gif

jbubb,
I would suggest that you get the stock inletted for your current barrel. It is not much of a problem to later open the channel for the larger contour. Especially a bull barrel. A wooden dowel, some sandpaper and a couple of hours and you'll be there. This way if you fall out of love with the rifle, or the rifle amazes you accuracy wise with the current barrel you will not be kicking yourself for having the channel opened up for a barrel it may never see.
Example, I have a Richards Microfit thumbhole wildcat I will be working on sometime this winter for my 300 RUM. My intentions were to use it as a donor as you have implied. It shoots great. I will be leaving that one alone as far as metal goes.
My .02
HPA

You are going to be fitting that barrel channel and the rest of the stock regardless of what you order. keep it thin like the man said. You are in for some work with their stocks, but it will be worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.